Mallory Hoke: Athletic Training major

May 22, 2013

Mallory Hoke has a heart to reach out to others through athletics and physical training. A senior Athletic Training major and Personal Training minor, Mallory grew up in Springfield and graduated from Kickapoo High School.

Along with her studies, Hoke works at the Doling Family Center as a fitness monitor, helping people learn how to use the gym.

“This is where my Personal Training minor comes in,” she says. “It gives me an incredible opportunity to be around the personal training community.”

Mallory’s hobbies include tennis, camping and anything else that allows her to spend time with family and friends.

Why did you choose to attend Evangel?

For my freshman year of college, I attended another college. I didn’t feel connected to any of my classmates or professors. It wasn’t the college experience I had hoped for. Just before the fall of my sophomore year, I came to EU and toured the campus in hopes of transferring here for my junior year. However, I immediately fell in love with the campus, and everyone I spoke to was so enthusiastic and encouraging.

What caused you to choose Athletic Training as your major?

I’ve always considered a job in the medical field. I feel like caring for others is one of God’s highest callings. When I thought about careers, I knew I wanted something that would surprise me. I wanted something that wouldn’t always be predictable, something that would challenge me.

What makes the environment at Evangel special?

Everything about the environment here is special. There are still a lot of people on campus who I don’t know, but I’ve never met a stranger. Everyone (teachers, students, custodians, secretaries, groundskeepers, etc.) is friendly. Everyone welcomes you with a warm smile, and everyone truly cares for each other. But my absolute favorite thing is that campus is filled with God’s presence. I adore knowing that if I’m struggling with something, there is a campus full of people ready and willing to pray for me and with me.

What is the best thing about the Kinesiology Department at Evangel?

The best thing about the Kinesiology Department is that all of the professors integrate fun into what you’re learning. Coach Getty is probably the best example of what I mean. Any bad day can be turned around if you’re sitting in one of his classes and hear a goofy joke or get to see him do a hilarious demonstration.

What are your career and ministry goals?

My biggest goal for after I leave Evangel is to prove to others than God can use anyone for his ministry, regardless of their career. You don’t have to be a pastor or a missionary to reach others for the sake of His kingdom. While those are some pretty impressive callings, they aren’t the only way for you to be used by God. I hope to use athletic training and personal training to witness for Christ. I hope that the people I come in contact with daily can see me living for God.

Why should a prospective student choose Evangel?

A prospective student should choose Evangel because there really is no other experience like it. There’s something so incredible about this university that words can’t even convey. It’s more than just an academic experience. It’s a spiritual experience. You’ll grow in every aspect of life here at EU.

Details and schedule for 2014 commencement events

Grad_2

“Genesis and Genetics” conference to discuss current faith-science issues

Chemistry

2