Kelsey Kapella: Athletic Training major

May 29, 2013

As an Athletic Training major at Evangel, Kelsey Kapella has had the opportunity to do some pretty exciting things. In addition to all of her normal studies, she has traveled with the EU athletic teams, working on the field at most football games. She has also had opportunities to do clinical observations through Cox Health and ride in an ambulance with EMS. Along with these activities and her busy academic schedule, Kelsey has also found the time to work as the club manager at a local fitness club and stay involved in community outreach. She says, “As Christians we are called to demonstrate God’s love for the world so that the world may come to know Him.” 

Why did you choose Evangel?

I learned about Evangel through the athletic director at my high school; he is an Evangel alumnus. He had nothing but good things to say about the University and was adamant that I check it out. He believed it would be a good fit for me. I had been checking out other local schools in the area but none of them felt right. When I toured Evangel, I was overwhelmed with a peace that stayed with me until I got home. God was making it very apparent that this was where he wanted me to be.  The more I learned about the programs and academics, the more I knew that it was the right place for me.

How did you decide on Athletic Training as your major?

I am a very active person. I love athletics and working with people. I also enjoy studying the human body.  As an athletic training student, I am able to combine the best of all these areas into one major. I have always wanted to pursue a career in health care. The deeper I get into my classes, the more I realize how much I love working in this field.

What are the benefits of attending a smaller university?

Besides shorter lines in the Caf, the biggest benefit is definitely the small class sizes. As a student, having a smaller class size means more one-on-one attention from the faculty and the opportunity to develop personal relationships with your professors. You also have the ability to get to know a lot of people on campus. At Evangel we are kind of like a large super-cultural family. You couldn’t ask for a better support network to surround yourself with.

What is your favorite thing about the Kinesiology Department?

The hands-on experience. I am definitely a kinesthetic learner. I learn more efficiently when I can take what I study in the classroom and put it into practice. As an Athletic Training major, I get to work with several different sports teams. We get to work with the athletes and are given other opportunities to gain experience through different health care facilities in the local area. We have awesome faculty and staff members who truly care about the students and what is going on in our lives; they really strive to help us succeed.

Where there any obstacles you overcame in coming to Evangel?

As for most college students, the main obstacle would have to be finances. When I was applying for colleges, I made it one of my goals to not accept a “cheap” education. After a lot of prayer and piles of scholarship applications, God has continued to amaze me on how gracious He is. I have been blessed with many scholarships, both at Evangel and locally, and other job opportunities that make my college education possible.

What are your goals after graduation?

After completing my undergraduate degree in athletic training, my plan is to continue my education by attending a graduate school to get my doctorate as a physical therapist. My classes and the faculty in the Kinesiology Department are definitely preparing me for graduate school and my future profession. With all of the clinicals I have completed, I have already gained a lot of knowledge and experience related to sports injuries, prevention and rehabilitation.

What opportunities for involvement have you had?

I have had a lot of opportunities to be involved in the community at Evangel. I’ve gone to Joplin to help work on the Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Along with the softball team, I helped build seven houses in seven days for families who lost their homes during the devastating F5 tornado. Along with the football team, I spent a semester last year reading and hanging out with a group of 3rd graders during lunch times at a local elementary school. With other EU students, I also helped volunteer at Inner City Outreach, a Christ-centered outreach designed to feed and bring the message to the homeless and poverty-stricken people, here in town last year.  There are many others opportunities to get involved, but these have been the highlight for me, so far.

What is campus life like?

I live on campus. Living on campus is a fantastic way to meet and develop relationships with other students. The girls of B2N, my floor, are like another family to me. Between, our spur-of-the-moment movie nights, floor dinners, soccer matches in the hallways and prank wars, there are always opportunities for fun in the dorms. Playing intramurals such as flag football, basketball, volleyball and soccer are definitely my favorite extracurricular activities. They’re great stress relievers after a long week of classes and homework. I love going out on the field or court with my teammates and having fun.

Why should a prospective student choose Evangel?

Evangel University is a university unlike many others. When I say we are a community, I mean it. Professors take the time before classes to ask for prayer requests, staff members know us by name, and the student body is supportive and friendly. We also have outstanding academic departments filled with faculty that are very knowledgeable and have a ton of experience. If you are looking for a college that not only pushes you to grow academically but also spiritually Evangel is the place for you.

Register now for summer campus visits

2