Dara Brannan: Missionary and The Write Place director

September 20, 2013

Dara Brannan was born into a missionary family, growing up in Costa Rica, Colombia, Argentina and Paraguay. She found her own unique calling to educate teachers in Christian schools around the world after graduating from Evangel.

Brannan has served as an Assemblies of God missionary and Missionary in Residence for Evangel, specializing in Latin America and Caribbean ministry and children’s ministry. A Missionary in Residence is an active world missionary who assumes the role of faculty member for Intercultural Studies courses and sponsors World Changers Mission Fellowship.

She recently accepted her current position as Director of The Write Place and Humanities Department faculty member.

What is The Write Place?

The Write Place is a writing center for the university that assists students with their writing. Our tutors point out patterns of error, brainstorm for writing ideas, check for coherence and offer suggestions that they feel may be helpful. They don’t, however, serve as editors that attempt to find every grammatical mistake made in a paper. We have knowledge of the English language, will offer general writing help and  aid students preparing for the English Proficiency.

What’s your favorite part of being the director?

I am in a perfect position to see students come in with big smiles on their faces because they just passed the writing proficiency or  received an “A” on the paper they worked on for weeks. Learning takes place every day in the Write Place. There is no other place I would want to be. I also teach Writing for the Professional, English Practicum and Methods of teaching Foreign Language.

What excites you about working with students?

Each day is a gift from God and a new opportunity to learn. Every morning I awaken with the reminder that today I am given the privilege to challenge my students to learn what they need to know as well as how to live out the calling God has placed on each one.

How did your own Evangel education prepare you for the mission field?

Evangel didn’t just prepare me for the mission field; it prepared me for life, my career and my calling. I learned not only what I needed to know to be successful as a teacher, but also how to be who God called me to be. I was prepared for each unique opportunity to serve God doing what He created me to do.

What have been some of the most rewarding experiences during your missionary career?

Working with teachers in the Christian schools abroad providing in-service training. I have taught groups from 20-800 teachers in Latin America and the Caribbean. They were so dedicated to helping the students learn and sharing the message of the grace of Jesus Christ. The best reward of all is knowing that each lesson I taught is being multiplied.

What is your favorite place in the world (aside from Evangel) to be?

My favorite place is on a beach reading a book in a hammock! 

Register now for summer campus visits

2