Brandon Willis: Advertising/Public Relations major

November 1, 2013

With dreams of multimedia journalism and sports photography, Brandon Willis is right on track to making his goals become a reality. He has been on the student media staff since his first semester at Evangel and has already won two awards for The Lance in sports photography. With these awards in tow, majoring in advertising and public relations seems to be a perfect fit for Brandon. He loves exploring downtown Springfield, trying out new restaurants and doing photo projects with his friends and fellow Communication Department students.

How did you hear about Evangel and decide it was the college for you?

I am from California and despite being born and raised Assemblies of God, I never really heard about Evangel until my junior year of high school. That year, I found out about Evangel through attending General Council in Orlando, Florida. I choose EU because it was the most financially feasible option for a private, Christian university. I was also attracted to Evangel because of its strong Communications Department with award-winning student media programs.

How did you decide on your particular area of study?

I decided on Advertising and Public Relations with a concentration in Journalism because of influences from my former high school newspaper advisor. I worked on the newspaper during high school and my teacher really inspired me to become part of the media. I chose the Ad/Pr major with a concentration in Journalism because I wanted to have a diverse degree that would allow me to easily move horizontally between media.

What are the benefits of attending a smaller university?

The professors are relatable and you aren’t just a number. Even in general education or frameworks classes, your professors get to know you. Being in the Communication department, my professors frequently send me scholarship and internship opportunities. Since, your professors know you on a personal level, they are great resources for helping students find employment and mentorship opportunities both during college and after graduation.

What is your favorite thing about the Communication Department?

The professors are knowledgeable, funny and they really care about you. I feel right at home speaking with any of my professors in the classroom.

What are your personal career goals after college? How has Evangel helped you with them?

My department is tight-knit and has great access to staff and editorial positions. This outlet into student media has given me excellent opportunities to lean and further build up my résumé. After college, I would like to work as a multimedia journalist for a newspaper or magazine. I would also enjoy being a creative director at an advertising firm.

How do you like campus life?

I am a missionary kid and have lived in over a dozen different cities. So, the transition to living in Springfield has not been difficult for me. I love my floor – Scott Second South. They have a lot of fun events and sports we can get involved with. Even if you don’t go to every single event, I highly recommend for students to get involved with their floor. It is the best way to break the ice and make some awesome friends along the way. On campus, I also enjoy photographing at sporting events and working on the newspaper and yearbook.

Why should a prospective student choose Evangel?

Evangel has an abundance of résumé-building opportunities that are not available at state school or similar private universities. EU also has more resources available than similarly priced universities.

If you could give any advice to a prospective student about Evangel, what would it be?

Get involved as soon as possible. Whether it be writing restaurant reviews for the newspaper, setting up for Activities Board events or volunteering with CROSSswalk, being involved with campus activities is the best way to meet other student, make friends and learn.

2