Justin Singleton: Pre-Law major with a passion for justice

November 6, 2013

Justin Singleton is a sophomore from Los Angeles, California, who is a die-hard Lakers fan and enjoys playing basketball. As a Pre-Law major at Evangel, he has a great passion to help individuals across the world who are being trafficked.

Why did you choose to attend Evangel?

I had finished two years of Bible college and transferred into a community college to do two more years of undergrad so I could transfer to a university by 2015. However, God kept stirring my heart about Evangel. The first time I looked at the webpage, I knew that was where I was supposed to go. The only problem was that I didn’t want to wait any longer to do what the Lord was calling me to do. So against all financial and practical wisdom, I took a step of faith and put a down payment on an apartment in town. Then I prayed and watched what happened.

I was working at Sam’s Club in California, and a woman walked up to me and said, “You seem like such a good worker. Would you be interested in working at a Sam’s Club in Missouri? My son is the manager in a town called Springfield. Here is his number. Give him a call.”

I couldn’t believe it. I gave her son a call and he instantly told me I could have the job. I checked on the map where the Sam’s Club was located, and it was exactly a mile away on the same street as the apartment that I already put a down payment on in faith.

What is your major/minor, and what caused you to choose your particular area of study?

My major is Pre-Law. I have a strong passion for justice and setting those who are in captivity free. My hope is to set thousands free from the horrors of human trafficking in America and across the globe.  My minor is Biblical Studies. I have a heart for the lost, and I know the most just thing we can do to help others is to share the Gospel with them.

Did you visit campus prior to moving in?

No, I didn’t have the opportunity to visit. When I finally was able to tour the campus after I moved to Springfield, I was in awe. If you have the opportunity to visit Evangel before attending, you will fall in love with its design and culture.

What makes the environment at Evangel special?

It’s the thousands of young people all here with a sense of calling on their lives that is completely priceless. The atmosphere is empowering and the students here all seek to challenge each other to a higher level.

What is the best thing about the Social Sciences Department?

My department head, Dr. Sanders, not only helped me to choose the classes that would be the most beneficial to me and my future, but he also took the extra effort to point me in a direction that will best fit the call that God has upon my life. Every teacher is available and interested in who you are becoming, that is invaluable.

What extracurricular activities are you involved in?

I am part of the Social Science Honors Society, the Pre-Law Society and pickup games of basketball. I spend time at local law offices, work and meeting new people in the Joust.

What are your future ministry goals?

I want to open a law firm with like-minded people who want to put an end to the injustice that is happening to people throughout the world — from human trafficking or children soldiers to modern day slavery.

Why should a prospective student choose Evangel?

My firm belief is that if you have a sense of calling upon your life, or want to find what the calling is, then Evangel is the place for you to grow spiritually while receiving a world-class education.

What advice do you have for prospective and current students?

If there is anything I want to share with those reading, it’s that no matter what anybody may tell you, do what you firmly believe in your heart that God is calling you to do, for he can make a way where there is no way.

Isaiah 43:19:

“Behold, I will do a new thing,
Now it shall spring forth;
Shall you not know it?
I will even make a road in the wilderness
And rivers in the desert.”

Find your schedule for EU Launch 2014

Launch_movein1

2