Morgan Matthias: Government major

November 8, 2013

Morgan Matthias, a student from Jacksonville, Florida, enjoys watching college football on TV. As a Government major with an International Relations minor, she likes to learn about history and political science. She is a work study for Career Services.

Why did you choose to attend Evangel?

The first time I came to Evangel was when I was in the second grade during a family trip on the way to Kansas. I remember looking up at my mom and telling her that I was going to come to school here one day. As senior year came around, I applied to Evangel and got accepted. I was so nervous about how far away it was from home that I had decided I wasn’t going to come. Therefore, I registered for classes at a university back home. The summer before college started, I went to National Fine Arts and visited the Evangel booth. As I talked to a representative from the school, I decided right then that I was going to Evangel. Less than two weeks later, I made the 17-hour drive from Florida to Springfield.

Did you visit campus prior to moving in?

I technically didn’t come for a visit during high school. Because it had been many years since I saw the campus, I was nervous to come. However, it ended up working out just fine. The campus isn’t too big, so it is easy to learn where everything is pretty quickly.

What makes the environment at Evangel special?

Evangel is special in many ways. The first time I took a test as a freshman, the professor prayed for us before the test began. It was refreshing to feel that he was not out to fail us but genuinely cared about us and wanted us to do well. Also, the faculty and staff show that they care about the students and aren’t just here for a job. I appreciate that Evangel is a liberal arts Christian college.

What is the best thing about the Social Sciences Department at Evangel?

The professors in the Social Sciences Department are amazing and probably the best thing about my department. There are times when you are having a bad day and need someone to talk to, and the professors are willing to sit down with you to talk to you about your problem. Also, they are there if you need them to pray for you and whatever you are going through. They really make the department feel like home.

What are your goals after Evangel?

After I graduate, I would say my first goal is to find an enjoyable job and hopefully go to graduate school to continue my education in political science.

Why should a prospective student choose Evangel?

One of the reasons someone should consider attending Evangel is the small class size.  Unlike at a large state school where there can be hundreds of students in one classroom, there are always less than one hundred students in classes here at Evangel.  The class sizes even get smaller as you continue to get into the higher-level classes of your major. Smaller classes make the atmosphere more relaxed because you know your classmates and teacher, and they know you too.

Details and schedule for 2014 commencement events

Grad_2

“Genesis and Genetics” conference to discuss current faith-science issues

Chemistry

2