Joseph Saucedo: Biblical Studies and Biblical Languages major

November 20, 2013

Joseph Saucedo, a junior from Berwyn, Illinois, is a double-major in Biblical Studies and Biblical Languages. He loves being part of the Evangel family, and as a part of this family, he serves as the president of Scott Hall. He values the ministry training he is receiving at Evangel, and with a goal to serve at-risk teenagers in the future, he is pursuing the dream God has placed in his heart.

What do you like to do when you’re not in classes?

Some of my hobbies include playing music, watching movies, playing video games, bowling, and hanging out with friends.

Why did you choose to attend Evangel?

For a while, Evangel was No. 1 on my college list, but for a little bit in high school I thought I wanted to be a music teacher. So I looked around at a few colleges in Tennessee and put Evangel on the back burner. Eventually, God just spoke to me and told me to go. I came for a visit day and absolutely fell in love with the campus. The moment I set foot on campus, I knew that this was the place I was meant to be at.

What caused you to choose your particular area of study?

I’m a double major with Biblical Studies and Biblical Languages. Feeling called to be a pastor prior to coming to Evangel, the Biblical Studies route seemed most obvious. But when deciding on what to go along with that, I felt called towards Biblical Languages. I was studying Thai with one of the theology professors, and he noted that I was picking it up very quickly and that I may just have a mind for languages. After that I declared a second major and have since really fallen in love with studying biblical Hebrew and Greek.

Did you visit campus prior to moving in?

I visited campus after receiving my acceptance letter, and once I set foot on the campus, I knew that this was the college for me. I would recommend an EU Visit for prospective students because seeing the campus online is good and reading about it helps a little bit, but you can’t experience the fullness of Evangel until you’ve come to the campus and experienced the “family life” that Evangel offers.

What makes the environment at Evangel special?

The environment at Evangel is different because it is a place where you’re not a number or another face in the crowd, but a place where you are an integral part of something. It embodies the Body of Christ so much in that each student plays a part in some way. The staff and faculty here take personal interests in the students and genuinely care for each student.

What is the best thing about your academic department?

I absolutely love the School of Theology and Church Ministries. The professors are scholars of their field and have a real zeal for what they are teaching. They simply don’t teach because they have to; they actually love what they’re teaching about, and it rubs off on the students. My Old Testament Literature professor actually took us out to our football practice field and let some students use a slingshot much like David would have used against Goliath.

What extracurricular activities are you involved in?

I’m involved on a campus worship team as a bassist. I’m also on floor council as secretary, president of my hall, an EU student host and member of senate due to my presidency.

What are your future ministry goals?

I want to go on for my master’s degree and become a youth pastor to at-risk students in the Chicagoland area, then eventually go on for my doctorate.

Why should a prospective student choose Evangel?

Evangel isn’t just another college. It is really a place that students can call home and call the people family. It’s where you can grow both academically and spiritually. It’s definitely a place where I’ve met friends I will have for the rest of my life.

Varsity athletics at Evangel

athletics