Jubilee Zielke: Intercultural Studies major

January 15, 2014

Jubilee Zielke, a junior from northern Wisconsin, was a Central Bible College student for two years and has now transitioned to Evangel. She loves to sing and worship God with friends. Her passion for God is central to her life, and her heart’s desire is to tell others about Him — especially those who have never heard the Gospel. She values the close community she has found on her dorm floor, and she is excited for the memories yet to be made.

Why did you choose to attend Evangel?

I chose to attend Evangel after discovering that CBC and Evangel were consolidating. I knew it would be hard to attend a new school and to make new friends, but at the same time, I also had friends from CBC that were going to attend, as well as some friends from church that already attended Evangel. I also thought that Evangel was a good choice because I wanted to complete my degree in order to go to the mission field.

What are you currently studying?

My major is Intercultural Studies. I chose this major because God called me to be a missionary — to go and work with people of another culture, a people that has never heard the gospel. I believe that it is very important to learn about how to work with other cultures and be sensitive to them before attempting to reach them. My minor is Biblical Studies. I believe that as Christ-followers, we must be firmly grounded in the truth of God’s Word so that we may share His truth with others. I am also studying to get a certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign Language, which will enable me to work in places that do not allow people to come as missionaries and will open up opportunities to share the gospel.

Did you visit campus prior to moving in?

I had been on Evangel’s campus before moving in. However, I did not have a tour or an official visit. It was nice already being familiar with Springfield though, and somewhat familiar with the campus.

What makes the environment at Evangel special?

Living in the dorms and being part of the family on my floor is really special. Although we may not have time to make it to all of the events, we do get together quite often, which I enjoy. I also enjoy that we get to sit and study together. It’s much nicer than studying by yourself. Also, the teachers genuinely care about your education, and they do their best to help you to accomplish your goals.

What is the best thing about the Intercultural Studies Department at Evangel?

The best thing about the Intercultural Studies Department is that they equip you to do the work that God has called you to. They are willing to work with you and help you work out the degree program and classes that you will need and help you to enjoy your college experience as well. They equip you for fulfilling the mission of God to reach the nations, which I believe is the most important aspect of not only Intercultural Studies, but any major.

What service opportunities do you take part in?

I am involved in the youth leadership at my church, as well as the worship team for both Sunday service and youth. I am a member of University Chorus, and I take part in the downtown outreach on Friday nights.

What are your ministry goals?

After graduating from Evangel, I plan to go to work with unreached people groups in East Africa. I will teach, use music, build relationships, and do whatever it takes until the people groups are brought into the Kingdom of God. I am very excited to see what God will do.

Why should a prospective student choose Evangel?

A prospective student should choose Evangel if that is where God is leading them. It is a great place to get an education because the professors and staff members strongly encourage you and aid you in following the call that God has placed on your life.

FA14_Students_Walking_To_Class_024