Dr. Chip Stanek: Assistant professor of Communication and CrusaderMedia adviser

March 4, 2014

Dr. Chip Stanek began attending Evangel University 20 years ago to study Broadcasting and Drama. Today, he teaches alongside many of the professors he once studied under.

Stanek attended Evangel from 1994 to 1997. During his time as a student he was heavily involved in ECTV and KECC radio, as well as several of the university’s plays. Following graduation, Stanek worked in Chicago before returning to earn his master’s from Missouri State University.

Stanek began teaching in the Evangel’s Communication Department in the fall of 2003, and in 2013 he earned his doctorate in Film from Regent University.

Along with teaching film, electronic media and animation classes, Stanek advises CrusaderMedia, the student-run media website. He also teaches a summer class on C.S. Lewis which includes a week-long trip to Oxford, England.

What first sparked your interest in studying film?

I’ve always loved film and studied it on my own my entire life. Soon after I started teaching at Evangel, we launched our Film major, giving me the opportunity to engage something that I love from an academic position.

What is your favorite memory as a student?

I have lots of memories on late nights spent at the TV Studio working on projects. Sleep was a premium for electronic media majors, and still is.

What do you enjoy doing when you’re not teaching?

In my free time, outside of doing family things and work things, I have typical guy hobbies. Sports, movies, TV, video games, etc. I’m also addicted to learning. Self-education is something that I stress is important to all of my students. I also love to read anything and everything.

I’m sort of an entertainment media glutton. But it’s not just for entertainment’s sake. Whenever I’m watching a movie, playing a game, or reading a comic, I like to think about why it’s entertaining and how it works.

What has been your favorite part of being a professor?

My favorite memories are those outside-the-classroom academic trips that we take with students. Getting to know the students on a more personal level during travel and being able to experience learning activities in the real-world continues to be very rewarding.

What advice do you have for students considering coming to Evangel, especially those interested in communication?

Dedicate yourself and work hard. Our field is extremely competitive. You will not be able to slide through and hope to succeed, let alone earn a degree. Education is a two-way street. We will challenge you on many levels and you need to be prepared to step up to those challenges. But you will come out the other end with a skill-set and portfolio pieces that will help you succeed in the field that you’ve targeted.

FA14_Students_Walking_To_Class_024