Glenda Mohr: Associate professor of Theatre

July 4, 2014

Glenda Mohr has been teaching Theatre since 1995, the year she began teaching drama at Central Bible College. Mohr came to Evangel in August 2013 when the schools consolidated.

A Kansas native, Mohr graduated in 1973 with a degree in theatre from Friends University in Wichita. She and her husband, Greg, pastored for 23 years in the state of Kansas. Mohr later earned her master’s from Missouri State University.

Mohr worked in professional theatre for a short time, and she has developed her own theatre and owned and toured with a successful children’s theatre in the Kansas area. Mohr has overseen theatrical and video productions for the World Evangelical Conference, the Assemblies of God General Council and many district and national events.

In her free time, she loves to write and scrapbook.

What sparked your interest in theatre?

I was initially a music major at Friends University, but the theatre department offered me a scholarship to switch my major to Theatre. Since I had no money, I said, “Sure!” The Lord knew what was ahead. I pastored with my husband for 23 years, and when he passed away, my degrees helped me find a place at CBC and now at Evangel.

What was it like teaching Theatre at CBC versus here, and what excites you about teaching at Evangel?

With CBC I was enabling ministers and missionaries to use theatre and media. Here, people are still in ministry, but in a broader range of vocations. Some of the students want to be actors while others want to be teachers. It’s a lot more diverse. I’m excited about the possibilities that can develop with a larger student body. I’m really hoping that a lot of people decide that they want to be involved in the theatre area.

What is your favorite part about working at Evangel?

That’s easy! It’s the students. That’s why I’m here. I love students. In the years that they’re here, they’re just like a vessel that we’re pouring ourselves into. We get to see them transition from a child to a person ready to be launched out into the world. I love being part of that. I think it’s a privilege and a great responsibility.

What about students who aren’t studying Theatre? Can they still get involved?

Anyone — not just Theatre majors — can audition for acting parts. And, if they want to be involved in the show but not on stage, we need carpenters, audio people, people to work backstage, makeup crews, people who can sew costumes and stage hands. They don’t necessarily need to be on the stage acting. We need a really big crew.

What advice do you have for prospective students, especially those interested in studying Theatre?

Make sure you want to be a really good storyteller, actor, writer or director. It’s got to be a calling on your life because it’s a hard major and a hard discipline. But, coming to a school like Evangel where you can get a solid Christian base underneath you, and then apply the training, is an excellent thing.

Apply for free until Nov. 15

FA14_Science_Lab_006_edited

#CongratsDrTaylor: Learn more about Evangel’s fourth president

Get to know best-selling author and pastor Mark Batterson (’92)

MarkBatterson