Dr. Dennis McDonald (’84): Football alum now serving as director of athletics

September 24, 2015

Dr. Dennis McDonald is in the midst of his first year as Evangel’s director of athletics. McDonald played on the football team from 1980-83 and was on the coaching staff from 1986-92. 

He recently earned his doctorate in Educational Leadership from Dallas Baptist University while serving as the principal of Staley Middle School in Frisco, Texas. 

McDonald says those who have made they greatest impact on his life are his wife and family, and countless coaches, teachers and professors.

What’s something unexpected that the Evangel community should know about you?

I have the same brain today that I had when I was a first-year college student with a 1.5 GPA. I was just a young college kid hoping to have a shot at a scholarship to play football. It took a change in focus, wonderful mentors, and a lot of long days of hard work to be your athletic director.

What have you carried with you since playing football at Evangel?

I can summarize this very easily. I learned to work hard as a part of a team.

What is your favorite part about working with athletes and coaches?

The wonderful relationships that are formed. It’s great to hear from former teammates and players, and see how they are impacting the world in so many positive ways.

What changes should we expect to see in the athletic department this year?

There will be some changes in operating procedures, especially in the way we handle budget issues. But there should be no change in our core values which align with the mission of the university. Once we identify areas that can be improved, we will relentlessly seek those improvements.

What has been the most rewarding part of your career?

Seeing students who did not think they could be successful achieve success, due to close relationships with wonderful mentors.

What’s the ultimate goal of athletics at Evangel?

Preparing present student/athletes to be future professionals who will share their faith in their professional positions. I don’t mean future professional athletes, although this may occur from time to time. I mean individuals who have had the opportunity through athletics to obtain their degree in a wonderful Christian environment.

VISION: Fresh Air for the Windy City

Asante

VISION: Changed Up with Jon and Jennifer Barratt

2016 spring vision (14)-12

VISION: Toni Robinson’s Stage Presents

VISION: Janine Maxwell’s Hope for Africa

Janine Maxwell cover

VISION: No Pain – Our Gain

Dr Josh Little-cover