Bachelor of Science in Health Care
Are you desperately wanting to use your God-given talents to relieve pain and suffering? Are you energized by helping others? If so, a career in nursing might be the right choice for you. Our four-year Nursing Program enables students to graduate with two degrees: a BS in Nursing from Cox College and a BS in Health Care from Evangel. The BSN program is approved by the Missouri State Board of Nursing (MSBN) and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission.
The Evangel University Department of Science and Technology is dedicated to the spiritual, academic and social growth of every student. The department’s purpose is to provide an excellent scientific education that is thoroughly integrated with the University’s emphasis on the development of strong Christian character. Within this framework, students must contend with new scientific, social, ethical and technological challenges. Students learn to communicate technical concepts clearly and effectively and exhibit analytical thinking and problem solving-skills.
Evangel’s Nursing Program is a cooperative effort with Cox College. This is an all-inclusive, fully-accredited, 4-year program. Evangel is widely recognized for its outstanding academic quality and emphasis on the integration of faith and learning. For example, each year our nursing students have opportunities to participate in overseas medical relief trips. If desired, they can also participate in a six-week clinical rotation at Mercy Hospital in Calcutta, India.
Students complete nursing prerequisite courses during their first three semesters. Application is made for admission into the program during the third semester of college, and if accepted, the next five semesters consist mostly of clinical nursing courses. Program graduates are qualified to take the NCLEX exam. Passing this exam is necessary to obtain the Registered Nurse (RN) licensure. Evangel students have had a phenomenally high pass rate on this exam.
All nursing theory and clinical nursing courses are taught by Cox faculty in Cox Regional Health Center facilities.
Special note for transfer students:
Transferring classes from another college to the dual degree (BS in Health Care from EU; BS in Nursing from Cox College) nursing program at Evangel University is allowed. Care must be taken since the nursing theory and clinical courses take 2.5 years, and the applicant must be in residence at EU for one semester before admission into the nursing program.
Program Plan (pdf)
|Want to see exactly what classes you will take? The Program Plan (sometimes called a degree sheet) includes all specific requirements - including University proficiencies, Frameworks courses and degree requirements.|
Each of Evangel's academic programs is made up of a set of core curriculum, program requirements and electives. The courses listed below are just a small sample of courses that might be taken as a part of this specific program.
|Human Anatomy and Physiology I & II||Introduction to human anatomy and physiology with an emphasis on the roles of homeostasis and pathology and their interactions.|
|Microbiology||Study of microorganisms and their growth and control. Emphasis on prokaryotic cells, especially bacteria of medical, ecological, and industrial importance.|
|Adult Medical Surgical Nursing||The holistic nursing care of adults from multicultural backgrounds along the wellness-illness continuum, with an emphasis on integration of pathophysiology and psychosocial dynamics with complex illnesses and human response patterns in the acute care setting. Use of critical thinking, decision making and research will be incorporated into teaching, caring and collaborative role of the nurse.|
|Care of Childbearing Families||The development of competencies for the delivery of family-centered nursing care. The course will emphasize the nurse’s role in the application of nursing process utilizing critical thinking and problem solving while managing care for families with diverse health care needs and working collaboratively with other health professionals to promote health. Consideration of standards of nursing care, scope of practice, and the application of research and evidence-based nursing practice as applied to the childbearing family are examined.|
|Community and Public Health Nursing||This course focuses on providing population-focused nursing care. Concepts of community health nursing practice are applied in a variety of structured and unstructured settings. Health promotion and disease prevention concepts are integrated into community-oriented practice using the community-as-partner model.|
Evangel University's world-class faculty is made up of caring, Christian professionals who are distinguished in their fields and dedicated to the development of tomorrow's Christian leaders.
Evangel's academic programs are designed specifically to prepare you for a career in the real world. But it's more than just job preparation; it's preparing you to make a full impact in your profession through the unique combination of faith and learning. Here are some of the professions this degree would prepare you for:
- Registered Nurse (RN)
EU students can gain admission into the Cox College Nursing Program twice a year (January and August). In order to be eligible to apply for admission into the Nursing Program through Evangel University, the following conditions must be met by the pre-nursing student.
1. Complete at least 34 credits from the following list of prerequisite courses:
- Human Anatomy/Physiology I (4 cr)
- Human Anatomy/Physiology II (4 cr)
- Microbiology (4 cr)
- Human Nutrition (3 cr)
- Chemistry for Health Sciences (4 cr)
- Composition (3 cr)
- Effective Communication (3 cr)
- Two PSYC classes (6 cr)
- Sociology (3 cr)
- Government/FRWK 220 (3 cr)
- Philosophy (3 cr)
- Old Testament (3 cr)
- Intro. to Professional Nursing (3 cr)
- University Seminar (1 cr)
2. Application for matriculation into the Nursing Program is due by January 15 (for September admission) or September 1 (for January admission).
3. If a student is admitted to the Nursing Program, they must complete the following before the start of classes in the following semester:
- Complete all of the classes listed under (1) above with a grade of “C” or higher and with a GPA for these classes of 3.0 or higher
- Meet math proficiency requirement (see Cox College catalog under admissions: math proficiency)
4. Top-ranking candidates (determined by prerequisite course GPA) will receive program admission offers by certified mail.
5. To register with Cox College in order to take the NRSI 200 class, obtain an application for admission to Cox College as a general studies student from the Science and Technology Department (this is NOT the application for admission into the Nursing Program). Fill the application out and turn in to the department secretary.
- Academic Registration, Financial Registration and Aid Procedures
Academic Registration, Financial Registration and Financial Aid Procedures
Academic Registration Procedures
- When students register for classes at Evangel, they will indicate at that time the number of credits they will be taking at Cox College during the same semester.
- The student must meet with an Evangel advisor and a Cox advisor to determine which courses to take at each institution.
- Cox courses will be entered into the EU registration system using the Cox College course designations.
Financial Registration Procedures
- Evangel students (prenursing and nursing) will pay all of their tuition and fees (for EU and Cox courses) to Evangel during financial registration.
- EU students will pay the Evangel rate for tuition for courses taken, whether at EU or Cox College.
- Evangel will then reimburse Cox College for their portion (if any) of the tuition/fees for courses taken by EU students at Cox
- Evangel students must pay the following fees directly to Cox, in addition to tuition and other fees charged by Evangel University
- Books, lab materials, and other supplies purchased through the Cox College bookstore
- Students pay for their Cox College textbooks
- They may seek reimbursement from their financial aid account at EU if there is a surplus.
- Vehicle Registration Fee ($10/yr)
- Application Fee ($45)
- Acceptance Fee ($100)
- Cox College will bill EU for Evangel student tuition and fees
- EU will pay Cox College the tuition and fee charges upon receipt of bills from Cox College
Financial Aid/Scholarship General Information
- Students in the EU/Cox cooperative nursing program need to meet with EU financial aid personnel as early before each semester as possible; don’t wait until the last minute!
- EU/Cox students may apply for scholarships offered by either institution.
- Some EU tuition discounts only apply to courses taken at EU (see the Financial Aid office for specifics)
- NOTE: EU tuition discounts (e.g. MK, PK, employee) do not apply to courses taken by EU students at Cox; scholarships and other financial aid awards do.
- If you wish to have financial aid cover expenses at both schools or if you need to have student loans deferred (due to dual enrollment) you must contact the financial aid office at EU to complete the necessary paperwork to facilitate a contractual agreement with COX to meet these needs.
General Undergraduate Requirements
The following are general requirements for all students beginning an undergraduate program at Evangel. For more information visit Undergraduate Admissions Requirements.
|Faith||As a boldly Christian university, all of our students have made a profession of faith in Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior.|
|Diploma||Graduation from high school, or having the equivalent of a high school diploma such as the General Education Development (GED) examination.|
|Core Subjects||A minimum of a 2.0 GPA in core college prep classes (English, math, social sciences and science with a lab)|
|Grade Average||A "C" average. However, in some cases, a student with a weak academic record may be considered. To remain at Evangel, however, the student must meet scholastic requirements.|
|Standardized Tests||>Entering freshmen should take the ACT or SAT test. The codes for Evangel are as follows: SAT: 6198. ACT: 2296.|
When it comes to life at Evangel, there's always something happening on campus and there are always new lessons to learn, even outside of the classroom...Learn More