Bachelor of Science in Human Services
Our Human Services degree, designed for working adults, gives students the option to significantly expand their career options as well as impact our culture and the lives of others. The Human Services degree program offers evening classes and is designed for busy professionals who desire to make a difference in the lives of others through public and private agencies, faith-based groups and various government organizations. Those who work in the human services area possess specialized training as helping professionals. At Evangel University, we specialize in adult learning in Springfield – we can provide the preparation you need to reach your professional goals and impact the world around you.
Human Services is one of today’s fastest growing professions, as suggested by the Occupational Outlook Handbook. In completing the program in Human Services, students will:
Develop skills for establishing a therapeutic relationship with a variety of people;
- Know the normal development of people from birth through adulthood as well as potential challenges to healthy development across the life cycle;
- Have an awareness of the etiology and progression of social problems and common interventions to address these;
- Understand mental health components and the factors the contribute to its growth and impairment;
- Know the major types of psychopathology, causes and treatment;
- Understand the behavior of people in a variety of group modalities and be able to interact in a therapeutic manner with clients in a group treatment setting;
- Know prominent theories of counseling and the theoretical underpinnings for their use in helping people change.
- Understand basic research designs, validity, sampling, measurement, and analysis.
- Have a Christian worldview in conceptualizing the human condition and serving the needs of people with life challenges.
Program Plan (pdf)
|Want to see exactly what classes you will take? The Program Plan (sometimes called a degree sheet) includes all specific requirements - including University proficiencies, Frameworks courses and degree requirements.|
Each of Evangel's academic programs is made up of a set of core curriculum, program requirements and electives. The courses listed below are just a small sample of courses that might be taken as a part of this specific program.
|Behavioral Sciences Seminar||Introduction to the Human Services program and the educational and professional options available.|
|Community Interventions to Social Problems||Study of selected workers to understand the severity of the problems, as well as the theories related to their root causes. Explores approaches to the resolution of these problems within a Judeo-Christian framework.|
|Assessment & Case Management||Investigating case management, which a core component of service delivery in every sector of human services.|
|Psychopathology||Theoretical approaches to psychopathology, the assessment of mental disorders, and a sampling of the current classification system of disorders with respect to symptomatology and treatment.|
|Christian Worldview in Human Services||Evaluation of personal values, ethics, and worldviews in light of biblical perspectives. Capstone course addresses values and Christian ethics in the human services.|
Evangel University's world-class faculty is made up of caring, Christian professionals who are distinguished in their fields and dedicated to the development of tomorrow's Christian leaders.
- Health Services Manager
- Human Services Worker
- Case Manager
- Direct care staff in group home
- Residential Facility Specialist
- Juvenile Officer
- Probation Officer
- Community support worker
Applicants who have met the following criteria will be considered for admission to the Adult Studies program:
- As a boldly Christian university, all of our students have made a profession of faith in Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior.
- Graduation from high school or the equivalent of a high school diploma such as the General Education Development (GED) examination.
- A minimum of a 2.0 cumulative GPA in previous college courses. However, in some cases, a student with a weak academic record may be considered. To remain at Evangel, however, you must meet scholastic requirements.
Note: You do not need an associate of arts degree to apply to Evangel.