Master of Education in Secondary Teaching
Evangel University’s Master of Education in Secondary Teaching program is designed for students who have completed a bachelor’s degree in a field other than education and now desire to use their expertise in the teaching profession. This program allows a student to earn Missouri teaching certification in a chosen subject area while completing a master’s degree in education.
Evangel University's graduate program in education offers you the opportunity to take your life and career to the next level. Outstanding faculty members offer professional mentoring and insightful instruction drawn from their years of experience as teachers, reading specialists, principals and consultants. They are also people of deep faith who embrace teaching as a calling.
The unique design of the education program allows you to complete your master’s degree at times and places convenient for you. Features of this program include the following:
- Evening classes during fall and spring semesters
- Some classes available online
- Summer block sessions
- Practicum and student teaching
- Flexibility to complete in two to five years
Program Plan (pdf)
|Want to see exactly what classes you will take? The Program Plan (sometimes called a degree sheet) includes all specific requirements - including University proficiencies, Frameworks courses and degree requirements.|
Each of Evangel's academic programs is made up of a set of core curriculum, program requirements and electives. The courses listed below are just a small sample of courses that might be taken as a part of this specific program.
This program requires 38-40 credit hours. Below is a sampling the the classes you will take. For a full list of course requirements, see the Program Plan (pdf).
|Methods in Secondary Teaching Specialty||Emphasizes the fundamentals of teaching methods, curriculum, and techniques in a selected subject area. The student will select the major area of emphasis.|
|Educational Technology||Designed to aid teachers in becoming better acquainted with the broad range and interrelated use of instructional media materials and techniques. Emphasis on the practical problem of choosing, using, and inventing instructional materials.|
|Special Studies in Classroom Management and Discipline||Presents models of classroom management and related discipline issues. Research oriented with a focus in the diversity of current American culture and classroom practices.|
|History and Philosophy of American Education||Explores the basic philosophical and historical foundations that undergird the American educational system.|
|Practicum in Subject Area of Specialty||Students are assigned to a local classroom in their subject area.|
Evangel University's world-class faculty is made up of caring, Christian professionals who are distinguished in their fields and dedicated to the development of tomorrow's Christian leaders.
- Teaching at the secondary level
- Must have a bachelor’s degree in one of the following subject areas: (Art, Business, Drama/Speech , English, French, Mathematics, Music Education, Physical Education, Biology, Chemistry, Social Sciences, and Spanish) or completed the required coursework for each subject area. Below are the minimum course requirements (with a minimum of a 3.0 GPA) for your subject area of interest.
- Art grades 9-12
- Biology grades 9-12
- Business grades 9-12
- English grades 9-12
- Instrumental Music grades k-12
- Mathematics grades 9-12
- Physical Education grades k-12
- Physical Education grades 9-12
- Social Science grades 9-12
- Spanish or French grades 9-12
- Speech and Theatre grades 9-12
- Unified Science-Biology grades 9-12
- Unified Science-Chemistry grades 9-12
- Vocal Music grades k-12
You must also receive a passing Praxis score in the appropriate subject area.
The following are general requirements for all students beginning a program at Evangel. Applicants who have met the following criteria will be considered for admission to the Graduate Studies program:
- Hold an earned baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university or be accepted into an Evangel University 5-year BS/MS degree program.
- Have a grade point average of 3.0 or better in the last 60 hours of undergraduate work or last two years as a full-time undergraduate or graduate student.
- Provide official results of required entrance examinations.
- Meet specific departmental requirements as stipulated in the individual program descriptions.
If you have any questions about admissions requirements for Evangel’s Graduate Studies program, don’t hesitate to call 417-865-2815 (ext. 7227) or email our Graduate Studies Admissions Counselor.