State of the University: President Spence
November 29, 2011 | Evangel University News
We have reached the halfway point of the fall semester of another great year at Evangel, and we praise the Lord for His blessings.
Evangel is doing well. We have experienced a better than 6% increase in enrollment this year, donations are up, and we are making progress on recovering our endowment fund investment losses from the economic slowdown of the past two years.
- Student Life — Evangel has experienced record enrollment for the third year in a row. This semester, 2,168 students are in our traditional undergraduate, professional studies and graduate programs.
- Spiritual Life — The integration of faith, learning and life is paramount at Evangel. Campus Pastor John Plake reports record participation in ministry and community service outreaches; and hundreds of students are preparing for 18 short-term ministry trips that will take them around the world next spring.
- Scholarships — Our focus has always been to assist our students and their families, especially so during rough economic times. In the past three years, we have increased our institutional financial aid to unprecedented levels. Academic scholarships, especially, have been increased. (The number of athletic scholarships was not increased.)
- Finances — Our financial position is strong. In the past year, we have reduced long-term debt by more than $1 million. Just 5.71% of Evangel’s current fund budget is needed to cover debt service. (Most people would like to be in the position of needing such a small percentage of the family budget to meet the mortgage, car payments and other obligations.)
- Accreditation — We enjoy the highest level of confidence by our accrediting agencies. Our most recent review was with the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Schools and Colleges, and we received the strongest reaffirmation of accreditation possible from them.
We are thankful for the hard work of our faculty and staff, as well as the strong support of our alumni and friends.
For prospective students who are looking at the possibility of joining the Evangel University family, we pray that you will be open to the Lord’s leading. Please call* if you have any questions. Our admissions counselors look forward to visiting with you.
Dr. Robert H. Spence