Evangel senior has a head for business and a heart for service

November 13, 2013 | Irene Kanthan

Bobbie McDaniel makes room in his life for the unexpected.

When he came to Evangel in fall 2010, he was majoring in management. Then, in July 2012, he encountered Feet That Move, an organization that focuses on providing shoes to people in need around the world.

“When I met the founder, Dustin Sandoval, he shared his vision for the organization, and it truly inspired me,” McDaniel says.

That inspiration led McDaniel to sign up for an internship with Feet That Move in summer of 2013, a venture that included a week in El Salvador.

“It was my first time out of the country for such a cause, and I was not sure what to expect,” McDaniel says. “I didn’t understand poverty and its dangers until I went to El Salvador. There are many soil transmitted diseases in different regions and that is risky for everyone.”

The antimicrobial shoes distributed by Feet That Move help fight the growth of diseases. “It is a safer option for the people we are reaching out to than giving shoes made out of cloth,” McDaniel says.

A total of 500 pairs of shoes were distributed in El Salvador.

Taking the challenge

Bobbie McDaniel recently had the opportunity to meet and thank businessman Jack Vetter and his wife Eldora, for funding Evangel’s new nonprofit business and social enterprise major.

“It was a life-changing trip,” McDaniel says. “I experienced the joy of giving when I saw the happiness on people’s faces. It confirmed my passion. I decided to change my management major to Evangel’s new nonprofit business and social enterprise major.”

“Bobby has a desire to prepare his head for business and his heart for service,” business department chair Bernie Dana says.

The new major, funded by a grant from the Vetter Foundation, was launched in the fall of 2012. According to Dana, there are only a few universities in the nation that offer this kind of program as an undergraduate business major.

Making a connection

McDaniel’s involvement with Feet That Move has continued; this fall, he serves as a team leader.

“I have been able to help with branding, marketing and fund-raising,” McDaniel says. “What I am learning through my classes in the nonprofit business program has given me insight for meeting their needs.”

Feet That Move is planning a trip to Uganda in July 2014 and will distribute 8,000 pairs of shoes.

“We want to impact people who are in need, but shoes are only a vehicle,” McDaniel says. “We also want to train young people to invest in others. Through Feet That Move, we take them across the world to experience different countries. These young leaders will be able to connect with people and show them the love of Christ.”

Details and schedule for 2014 commencement events

Grad_2

“Genesis and Genetics” conference to discuss current faith-science issues

Chemistry

2