Football recruiting class announced by head coach Brenton Illum
February 5, 2014 | Evangel University News
Evangel head football coach Brenton Illum announced the signing of 20 players today for the 2014 season. A pair of local standouts at quarterback highlight the Crusaders incoming class.
Jacob Wade (Strafford, Mo.) joins the program after throwing for 2,575 yards and 31 touchdowns during his senior campaign. The Class 2 All-State product also rushed for 802 yards and 9 touchdowns.
Bo Dean (Camdenton, Mo.) completed 66 percent of his throws in 2013, and over his final two high school seasons, racked up more than 5,000 yards passing total. He was a Class 3 All-State selection in 2012.
“Our two biggest needs this year were to sign quarterbacks who could compete to be a starter early in their career and to replace our four senior defensive backs with a large group of freshmen who could grow into those shoes,” Illum says. “We have achieved those goals with a tremendous job from our coaching staff. Our alumni involvement helped our efforts every step of the way.”
Evangel graduated starting quarterback Andrew Brimhall after three years under center. Brett Diers and Brady Burke will return to compete for playing time after seeing action while Brimhall was sidelined by injury in 2013.
Another skill position addition is running back Logan Allred (Ash Grove, Mo.). Allred signed with Evangel after breaking his high school’s career rushing record and earning an All-State selection in Class 2. He scored 34 touchdowns in 2013 and helped his team to the third round of the state playoffs.
On the defensive side, the Crusaders signed seven defensive backs, three linebackers and two defensive linemen.
“This recruiting class was all about quality,” Illum says. “We identified and signed a tremendous group of men who we believe will fuel the football program for years to come.”
Evangel’s signing class includes:
- RB Logan Allred (5-8, 185, Ash Grove, Mo.)
- LB Tristan Anderson (5-10, 200, Tulsa, Okla.)
- LB Joshua Ballard (5-9, 200, Springfield, Mo.)
- DB ZaKorey Barr (6-2, 180, Willard, Mo.)
- DB DeMarcus Bowdre (6-0, 183, Arlington, Tex.)
- DB Malachi Cobb (5-10, 175, Mesquite, Tex.)
- DB Isaiah Daniels (5-10, 180, Branson, Mo.)
- QB Bo Dean (5-11, 205, Camdenton, Mo.)
- DB Michael Frazier (5-11, 170, Cedar Hill, Tex.)
- TE Gavin Green (6-4, 230, Cabool, Mo.)
- DB Layton Harris (6-0, 160, Springfield, Mo.)
- LB Terrion Johnson (5-11, 215, Dallas, Tex.)
- DL Drew Kaiser (5-10, 255, Broken Arrow, Okla.)
- DL Matt Looney (5-10, 260, Broken Arrow, Okla.)
- OL Grant Magill (6-4, 315, Carroll, Iowa)
- K Cameron Mortazavi (5-11, 154, Sapulpa, Okla.)
- RB Darris Payne-Edwards (5-9, 190, Mesquite, Tex.)
- DB Raymond Ratliff (6-2, 185, Tulsa, Okla.)
- OL Charles Scott (6-0, 270, Arlington, Tex.)
- QB Jacob Wade (6-3, 240, Strafford, Mo.)
Visit Evangel Athletics for more information about about how you can play for the Crusaders.