Ph.D. student’s passion for science was ignited at Evangel

September 24, 2014 | Michaela Smith

If those interested in the latest STEM careers—particularly young women—need a role model, perhaps they should look to Evangel University graduate Elizabeth Baumeister. She’s working on the final stages of her chemical engineering research, with a Ph.D. on the horizon.

STEM refers to the academic disciplines of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, and the field is getting a lot of attention due to the increased need for positions in science and technology.

Baumeister, a 2012 graduate, was ahead of the game by obtaining a bachelor’s of science degree in chemistry, followed by a master’s degree from the University of Michigan’s Chemical Engineering program.

“I recently presented my research to a committee for my doctoral candidacy exam and passed,” she says. “This enables me to continue on with my research towards my Ph.D.”

Along with her studies, she also earned a fellowship to go to Belfast, Ireland, and meet the scientists who influenced her research.

“It was an awesome opportunity to meet the developers of the program and meet others working on similar research projects,” she says.

“Evangel gave me the solid science education I needed to pursue graduate studies. My advisers gave me the tools that I needed to get where I wanted and the encouragement that I could do it.”

One adviser was Dr. Steve Badger, professor of science. “He encouraged me to not compromise on what I felt called to do,” Baumeister says, adding that he helped her find internships and do what was needed to be a good candidate for graduate school.

“Elizabeth was bright, spiritually minded and attentive in class—asking and answering questions,” Badger recalls. “One of the greatest joys I’ve had in 12 years of teaching at Evangel is to see students like her mature as they learn what they need to learn, both in chemistry and in living for Christ.”

With a future is in computational chemical engineering research, Baumeister’s reach could go anywhere. Maybe even into influencing more STEM students to pursue their goals.

Find out more about Evangel’s Department of Natural and Applied Sciences