“The Plague”

March 30th, 2012 | Christina Jeter

My heart beats against my ribcage and relentlessly frays my nerves. Pounding footsteps are heard outside the classroom doors. Another human falls.  Clutching my Nerf gun, I make a run for it and survive another day.

If you chose to visit Evangel this week, you would see black bandanas and bright yellow Nerf guns. A campus wide event is currently taking place called “The Plague.” The Plague is a 24/7 game of tag. One person is secretly emailed at the start of the game and becomes the initial “infected” person. This person wears a black bandana around his or her neck or head. Their objective is to infect (or tag) others. As they tag “uninfected” individuals wearing a black bandana around their legs or arms, the infection spreads. Soon the infected out-number the uninfected and chaos erupts.

This is my second year playing this game at Evangel University. Though sometimes stressful, it’s an absolute blast to be a part of it. Evangel students are creative individuals. Throughout my years here, I have found a plethora of events such as “The Plague” to become involved in. Some people might think it childish to run around with a Nerf gun and shoot people or hide from “infected” individuals who are chasing you, but I don’t. Sometimes it’s good to dabble into childish activities. When you take a moment to do something crazy or childish, suddenly stress doesn’t seem so terrifying. “The Plague” has helped combat the stress of the approaching final exams. The friends I have lost to this “infection” spur me on; I must survive. If not for myself, I must survive for those who have already fallen!

At Evangel, there is always something fun going on. Events like this aren’t difficult to join if you keep an eye out for them. As the game grows more intense, I clutch my Nerf gun event tighter, discovering parts of Evangel’s campus unknown before. My heart pounds and sweat collects on my forehead, but I will not give in. I will survive…hopefully.

Christina Jeter

English and Theatre Major | Class of 2013

Christina is a missionary kid from Spain but considers Waxahachie, Texas her hometown. She is a commuter student double majoring in English and Theater. She balances her nerdy past times and shows with outdoor activities like soccer and bike riding.

Evangel unveils commercial for the greater yoU.

‘War Room’ film helps bring peace to home of Evangel alums

'War Room' director Alex Kendrick prepares for production in front of  Roland and Angela Mitchell's home just outside Charlotte, NC.

You won’t be able to put down these five summer readers from EU alums

FA14_Girls_Dorm Room_027

Earn Your Master of Organizational Leadership

EU Soccer: Kicking off with Bruce Deaton