Floor devotions

Floor devotions – how smaller is sometimes better

January 28th, 2013 | Ian Richardson

Nine p.m. on Thursday nights is a special time on the floor of Scott 2nd South.

It’s a time when textbooks close, laptops rest and the cares of studying subside. It’s a time when I claim my favorite spot on the stuffed couch in my floor’s study room and relax with my friends as the fellow men of S2S trickle in like a steady stream. It’s a time when the entire floor – sometimes with added visitors – unites for one purpose: floor devotions.

Floor devos are a continuing tradition here at Evangel. For about one hour on one night of the week, each floor sets aside a time to meet and study the word of God. It’s not a flashy Chapel service with electric worship music and a special guest speaker; it’s an informal time spent in fellowship with the people you live with from day to day.

Devos are organized and facilitated by the floor discipleship leader, who is a student selected to be the “go-to guy” of sorts for prayer and spiritual support. Devo topics can take the form of Bible book studies, reads through works of Christian literature or intense discussions of thought-provoking theological topics. And while attendance is optional, being able to count three devotional sessions as one of your required Chapel attendances for the semester is a powerful incentive.

Last semester, my floor decided to take a journey through the book The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. One of the guys owned a dramatized version on CD, so each week we listened to a select chapter and applied the relevant topics to our own lives. We had some insightful discussions on subjects like pride, prayer and friendship, and I have to admit that the voices on the CD were quite entertaining to listen to as well.

What I find most powerful about floor devos is the feeling of unity that results when our floor gathers in a single room. The guys on my floor are the people I live with, eat with, laugh with and even fight with, but every Thursday night I am reminded that we are living for the same purpose: to follow God. None of us is perfect, but by discussing God’s word and praying for one another, we have the opportunity to support each other and help each other grow.

In a world where it’s easy to get overwhelmed by academics or lost in the hype of a glamorous, superficial type of Christianity, I value the closed-in environment of my floor’s devotional time. The sense of community that it builds and the ability to be real with people you are close to are valuable things that I wouldn’t want to have to live without.

Ian Richardson

English Major | Class of 2015

Ian is a senior English major from Afton, Iowa. He lives in Scott Hall and writes for the Evangel University website and the Lance. Ian says the thing he loves most about Evangel is the sense of community.

Evangel unveils commercial for the greater yoU.

‘War Room’ film helps bring peace to home of Evangel alums

'War Room' director Alex Kendrick prepares for production in front of  Roland and Angela Mitchell's home just outside Charlotte, NC.

You won’t be able to put down these five summer readers from EU alums

FA14_Girls_Dorm Room_027

Earn Your Master of Organizational Leadership

EU Soccer: Kicking off with Bruce Deaton