Hannah Beers and friends

How a small-town girl adjusted to life at a college bigger than her hometown

July 2nd, 2013 | Hannah Beers

Afraid. That’s the best way to describe where I was exactly a year ago. Here I was, a freshly graduated pastor’s daughter from a small, tight-knit community, heading out into this giant new world. How was I possibly going to survive?

My name is Hannah Beers. Yes, that’s my real last name. I’m from Steelville, Missouri. I’m an Advertising/Public Relations major, and I have a few minors that I still question. My dorm room constantly has something out of place, and I spend a lot of time laughing about my daily embarrassing stories with my friends.

I’ve always liked to be able to control things. You could even say I’m a bit freakish about it … or really freakish. This change – moving and going to college – was the biggest, most uncontrollable event that had ever come upon me. How in the world was I going to handle it?

Well, August 24, 2012 came and went. After all the stress, crying and panic, I realized something: It’s not that bad. Actually, it’s not bad at all. You’ll be fine. Your parents are still there. Your friends don’t cease to exist. Your brothers will still bug you, and your sister will still ask you to fix her hair.

My biggest worry once I arrived on campus was that I couldn’t possibly live up to the things I did in high school. How could I be involved in everything and be friends with everyone when Evangel was so big? It is literally bigger than my hometown. That worry was useless, though. If anything, my dreams got bigger.

Today, I’m a member of Evangel’s touring orchestra, a member of the Excalibur yearbook staff, a Communication Department work-study, my floor’s Public Relations representative, a Senate member, and the Class of 2016 President. On top of that, I just got back from being an Evangel recruiter at the very church camp I grew up going to. God is so good when you let him have control of your life.

I don’t say these to things to brag about my short time at Evangel University. I say them to encourage you. For the incoming freshmen of 2013, I was exactly where you were just a year ago. I questioned if I was even strong enough to handle this. God has a way of working things out, though. He’s there in the midst of every worry.

Just in case you’re still worried, here are a few tips for the beginners:

1. Don’t try to carry everything up to your room at once on move-in day. It’s pretty awkward rearranging things when it’s full of packed boxes.
  2. It’s okay to feel nervous. Everyone is in the same boat.
  3. Don’t try to be best friends with everyone. Invest in your friendships with your roommate, suitemates and launch groups.
  4. Don’t get freaked out by the dating relationship overkill the first few weeks. It’ll pass.
  5. Find some alone time. It’s an entirely new adjustment being with people 24/7, so find time to be alone with yourself and with God.

I’m so excited for you to begin this new journey. Feel free to find me on campus, add me on Facebook, or follow me on Twitter if you need someone to ask about the weird lobby couples, good places to eat downtown, or ways to live on $5 a week. Welcome to EU!

Want more? The #EULaunch13 schedule is now posted. Check out all the great events and activities designed to help you make a successful transition to Evangel.

Hannah Beers

Hannah Beers is a sophomore Advertising/PR major from Steelville, Missouri, a town she says is "literally smaller than Evangel." As sophomore class president, College Republican president, a member of Excalibur yearbook staff, a photographer and founder of the Insecurely Movement, she's almost too busy to write this blog. But she loves sharing about Evangel, and she's not very good at saying no, so she's sharing the journey here.

Details and schedule for 2014 commencement events

Grad_2

“Genesis and Genetics” conference to discuss current faith-science issues

Chemistry

2