Surviving College

Three thoughts on thriving in college

October 14th, 2014 | Laura Prosapio

Now that I am in my third year at Evangel as an undergraduate student, I am absolutely amazed at how much God has blessed me to be a student here thus far. In the two years I’ve been here, I have grown in ways I never expected to grow and learned in ways I never expected to learn. Here are some thoughts I’d like to share with you — especially if you are just beginning your college years.

Keep an open mind and an open heart.

You’ve made it to college! Once a childhood dream in the distant future, your college career is now here and happening at this very moment. I’ve found it’s so important to be open about this time in life instead of holding it to our own expectations of what college should look like and be. I’ve also realized that just because we’re in college doesn’t mean that we have ourselves all figured out. There’s something new to learn about ourselves each day if we open our eyes to learning, and there’s opportunities to surprise ourselves of what new passions and interests we can develop.

Have fun and cherish spontaneous moments.

Personally, I tend to establish a well-planned-out daily routine. In order for me to accomplish the schoolwork I need to do each day, such a routine helps me to stay on task. However, being in college has taught me that while structure in life is good, it’s important to recognize that some of the best memories are made when we least expect them. I’ve learned that while prioritizing time to study is important, prioritizing time to enjoy spontaneous moments with friends is also extremely valuable. I’ve learned that while it may seem more comfortable to keep my dorm room door closed, I have had some of the best conversations with girls on my floor by choosing to keep my door, and my heart, open.

Prepare yourself now for who you want to be when you graduate.

As graduation draws nearer, I’m realizing that walking across the stage doesn’t automatically transform me into being the woman I want to be. The actions and decisions we make each day are what transform us into the adults we want to be when we graduate. Sometimes, I think it’s easy to put off daily responsibilities and save them for “later,” but such a habit is hurtful, especially during this critical time of growth and learning in college. If we want to be men and women of God, it is important that we make use of everyday moments to seek the Lord and enjoy His presence—even in the midst of difficult exams and busy schedules. If we want to be known as generous people, we must practice generosity to fellow students around us now. With these conscious decisions, we allow the Holy Spirit to work in our hearts to mold us into adults who are equipped to impact others for the Kingdom of God.

Laura Prosapio

Psychology and English Major | Class of 2016

Laura is a junior from Chicago double-majoring in Psychology and English. She has continued her high school passion for music by participating in Evangel’s Concert Choir. Her favorite thing about attending Evangel is living and learning with a community of believers who encourage her walk with God.

VISION: Fresh Air for the Windy City

Asante

VISION: Changed Up with Jon and Jennifer Barratt

2016 spring vision (14)-12

VISION: Toni Robinson’s Stage Presents

VISION: Janine Maxwell’s Hope for Africa

Janine Maxwell cover

VISION: No Pain – Our Gain

Dr Josh Little-cover