leaf

Why I decided not to graduate from college early

October 27th, 2014 | Laura Prosapio

Since freshman year, I resolved that I would finish my college Psychology degree in three years. I thought that if I could get my classes done as soon as possible, then I could attend grad school sooner. And if I attended grad school sooner, then I could get on a fast-track to the field of counseling. This three-year timetable was ever in my mind, and I stacked up each semester with classes so that I might walk across the graduation stage in Spring of 2015.

Last semester, I had a conversation with my Psychology professor, Dr. Grant Jones. I told him how excited I was to finish my undergrad degree as soon as possible so that I could become a counselor. Though I anticipated his undivided support at my enthusiasm, I was instead enlightened by words that contradicted my thoughts up until then. He inquisitively asked me, “What does it take to grow a weed, Laura?” I replied in a slightly confused tone, “Nothing?” He followed with, “Exactly.”

He continued his thought when he explained, “While it takes nothing for a weed to thrive, a beautiful rose must be tended for, cultivated, and cared for over time.”

I was struck by his metaphor.

As he saw this thought processing through my mind, he advised me, “Don’t rush. Take time to cultivate your passions and have fun. God can touch even more individuals through you if you choose to be trained to the fullest.”

Honestly, when I heard these words and left his office, I didn’t understand what he meant. I said to myself, “It’s good to want to be a counselor as-soon-as-possible, right?”  But still, Dr. Grant’s words steeped in my heart.

This semester, I came to more fully understand what he was talking about.

Although I picked up my pink graduation papers at the beginning of September, I couldn’t help but stuff them into the desk drawer in my dorm room. As I processed and thought and prayed about my unexpected feelings, I realized that my heart’s deep desire is to stay at Evangel for my full four years so that I can not only experience the fullness of college, but so that I can fully explore my passions while I’m in this wonderful environment. By taking this time to explore my passions, I believe that God will equip me even more for the future career and calling He has in store for me.

I have a passion for Psychology, but I also have an undeniable passion for English. I love to write. I love to read literature that makes me understand myself, others and God with greater depth. I feel like the study of English fills me and gives me a unique and beautiful joy, and I couldn’t be more excited to add this major to my Psychology degree. I know that God has called me to write words of life and encouragement for others, and I believe that my English major will give me the opportunity to not only grow in my skill as a writer, but also in my understanding of the human condition and the power of the written word.

This is a path I did not anticipate taking when I was traveling on the “fast-track,” but now that I have decided to absorb learning instead of rush through it, I feel an immense and unmistakable sense of God’s peace in my heart.

As I’m in this place of figuring out my passions and pursuing them as God leads me, I know that He is cultivating my passions here at Evangel. A few weeks ago in a Chapel message, Dr. Wave Nunnally mentioned how important it is to love God with all of our minds. While I remembered reciting this truth as a child, the beauty of that concept struck me in that moment in a fresh way. I realized that while God calls His children to love Him with our hearts and souls, He also calls us to love Him with all of our minds (Matthew 22:37). As a student at Evangel, I feel privileged to seek knowledge and the truth of who God is—not only in my Biblical Studies classes—but also in my Psychology and English classes. I firmly believe this is what it means as college students to love God with all of our minds.

I’m excited to learn and grow during this added year, for I trust that by loving God with my mind and not rushing growth, He can grow me in ways that will exponentially impact the individuals He will call me to reach in my future career.

Want more? Explore the more than 100 undergraduate programs Evangel has to offer and read about some of the classes and professors involved with each degree.

Laura Prosapio

Psychology and English Major | Class of 2016

Laura is a junior from Chicago double-majoring in Psychology and English. She has continued her high school passion for music by participating in Evangel’s Concert Choir. Her favorite thing about attending Evangel is living and learning with a community of believers who encourage her walk with God.

VISION: Fresh Air for the Windy City

Asante

VISION: Changed Up with Jon and Jennifer Barratt

2016 spring vision (14)-12

VISION: Toni Robinson’s Stage Presents

VISION: Janine Maxwell’s Hope for Africa

Janine Maxwell cover

VISION: No Pain – Our Gain

Dr Josh Little-cover