application

College application fear: Don’t worry, it’s normal

November 11th, 2014 | Ian Richardson

So you’ve surfed the website, looked into the degree programs and read about your potential professors, but when it comes to taking that next step and clicking “Apply Now,” you just can’t seem to do it.

You’re asking yourself, Should I really apply to Evangel? Would it actually all work out?

College is a big choice, and applying can be a scary hurdle. It feels so official. Trust me, four years ago I was in your shoes. Since Evangel was the only college I really wanted to come to, I was afraid I’d mess up the application and blow my chances. But afterward I realized that there was nothing to be scared about at all. An application is just an opportunity to tell the university who you are.

But maybe it’s not the fear of applying that’s holding you back. Maybe it’s finances. Maybe you have no idea how you would ever pay for four years at a private college and the idea of loan debt is what makes you hesitate.

Or maybe it’s the sheer number of miles that lie between you and Springfield. Miles that would lie between you and your family and friends. Miles that would keep you from returning home for months at a time.

Whatever holds you back from applying, I want you to know that you have nothing to lose by just filling out an application. There’s no application fee if you apply before November 15, so giving it a try won’t cost you a penny. The worst that can happen is that you realize that Evangel won’t work and have to say “no” later.

On the other hand, the best that can happen is that you’ll begin to realize it is possible for you to come here. Financial situations can change. There are plenty of scholarships and grants that you can apply for within Evangel, as well as thousands of opportunities to receive money from outside organizations. Evangel’s Student Financial Services department is also committed to helping you find the best possible way to make an Evangel education affordable for you.

As for the distance—I have several friends from across the country (and the world) who have made Evangel their home away from home. Know that the Evangel community will take you in and make sure you are not without a home environment, whether it be through our Adopt-a-Student program or going over to a friend or professor’s house for Thanksgiving. The closer you get to move-in day, you may find yourself more and more ready to travel the distance and take on the adventure that many of our students do every semester.

In other words, I encourage you to take a step of faith: Fill out an application and see what God does with it. Continue to pray for His will to be done in your life. If His plan is for you to come here, then He can make it happen. You’ll never know what’s possible until you take that first step.

Want more? Take that first step and apply now.

Ian Richardson

English Major | Class of 2015

Ian is a senior English major from Afton, Iowa. He lives in Scott Hall and writes for the Evangel University website and the Lance. Ian says the thing he loves most about Evangel is the sense of community.