Director of Athletics
February 12th, 2015
POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Evangel University invites applications for the position of Director of Athletics. The Director of Athletics provides leadership and direction for a competitive intercollegiate sports program. Current intercollegiate men’s sports include Football, Baseball, Basketball, Cross-country, Golf, Track and Field, and Soccer. Women’s sports include Basketball, Cross-country, Track & Field, and Soccer, Softball, Tennis, and Volleyball. The Athletic Director is responsible for maintaining an athletic program governed by the concept that student-athletes are students first.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSBILITIES:
1. Promotes the mission, vision, and identity of the University.
2. Affirms without reservation the University’s faith confession.
3. Provides leadership and administrative oversight for all athletic programs, staff, facilities, activities, and coaches.
4. Assumes responsibility for hiring and supervising full and part-time athletics staff, mentoring and evaluating performance of
coaches and athletics staff.
5. Collaborates with the Vice President for Enrollment Management on recruitment, enrollment, and academic success of athletes.
6. Collaborates with the University Public Relations Department in the preparation of press releases and the arrangement of media
coverage for athletic events.
7. Develops budget proposal and implements approved annual budget.
8. Ensures compliance with divisional (NAIA) and university athletics regulations and managing departmental funds in a fiscally
9. Guided by biblically grounded ethics, the director will promote a culture of sportsmanship, professionalism and respect at all
10. Creates opportunities for professional growth and development of athletics.
11. Implements the athletic policies of the University.
12. Works collaboratively with all divisions of the University to enhance the mission, visibility, reputation, and financial
support of the University.
13. Reports to the Provost and fulfills other duties as assigned.
1. The Athletics Director position requires a college degree, with graduate degree preferred, from an accredited institution with a minimum of 5 years of
progressive coaching and administrative experience in higher education.
2. A deep appreciation of and commitment to Christian higher education with a Pentecostal heritage.
3. A personal record of service that demonstrates the integration of faith and learning.
4. Candidate must be strongly committed to the educational mission and identity of Evangel University as a Christian University
affiliated with The General Council of the Assemblies of God.
5. The Athletics Director is expected to be a member of an Assemblies of God church.
SALARY: Salary is based on qualifications and experience.
Applicant should submit a letter of interest, along with a copy of: (1) professional resume, (2) at least three references with both email and telephone contact information, (3) a statement of personal Christian faith journey. Please send application materials to Ms. Donna Redel (email@example.com); or send to Evangel University, 1111 N. Glenstone Avenue, Springfield, MO 65802. The Search Committee will accept applications, recommendations, and inquiries until the position is filled.
TIME SCHEDULE FOR APPOINTMENT:
The Search Committee will begin reviewing applications immediately. This position remains open until filled.
EVANGEL UNIVERSITY is a private, co-educational comprehensive university committed to excellence in educating and equipping students to become Spirit-empowered servants of God who impact the church and society globally. Located in Springfield, Missouri, the beautiful campus is housed on more than 80 acres. Over 2000 students are enrolled in more than 60 academic programs, including graduate and degree completion. The consolidated Evangel University is comprised of Evangel, Central Bible College, and the Assemblies of God Theological Seminary, representing 190 years of rich history and legacy. The consolidated University is the first comprehensive University of the Assemblies of God offering degrees from the baccalaureate through doctoral levels. Evangel University embodies a Christ-centered community that values and encourages qualified applicants that are diverse in gender, generation, ethnicity, race and/or ability. Where permitted by law and in relation to the school’s heritage and mission, Evangel exercises religious preference throughout the University.
EVANGEL UNIVERSITY Faculty Employment
Assemblies of God Sixteen Fundamental Truths
Evangel University Mission Statement:
Evangel University is a comprehensive Christian university committed to excellence in educating and equipping students to become Spirit-empowered servants of God who impact the Church and society globally.
Accordingly, while on campus, during an off-campus class, or at any Evangel University function, students, faculty, staff, and administrators are expected to: Respect God, others, and self at all times Abide by the life-style standards of Evangel University Seriously pursue academic and spiritual growth through diligent, disciplined behaviors Exercise financial responsibility Maintain positive health habits by abstaining from alcohol, tobacco, and abusive drugs Dress so that a professional learning environment is maintained Refrain from vulgar, obscene, or suggestive language.
Evangel University and the Assemblies of God require a belief in basic Biblical doctrines as listed in the 16 fundamental truths. Respect for and support of these beliefs and practices is expected of all university employees.
Assemblies of God Sixteen Fundamental Truths
1. WE BELIEVE…The Scriptures are Inspired by God and declare His design and plan for mankind.
2. WE BELIEVE…There is only One True God–revealed in three persons…Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (commonly known as the Trinity).
3. WE BELIEVE…In the Deity of the Lord Jesus Christ. As God’s son Jesus was both human and divine.
4. WE BELIEVE…though originally good, Man Willingly Fell to Sin–ushering evil and death, both physical and spiritual, into the world.
5. WE BELIEVE…Every Person Can Have Restored Fellowship with God through ‘Salvation’ (trusting Christ, through faith and repentance, to be our personal Savior). [1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the AG]
6. WE BELIEVE…and practice two ordinances—(1) Water Baptism by Immersion after repenting of one’s sins and receiving Christ’s gift of salvation, and (2) Holy Communion (the Lord’s Supper) as a symbolic remembrance of Christ’s suffering and death for our salvation.
7. WE BELIEVE…the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is a Special Experience Following Salvation that empowers believers for witnessing and effective service, just as it did in New Testament times. [1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the AG]
8. WE BELIEVE… The Initial Physical Evidence of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is ‘Speaking in Tongues,’ as experienced on the Day of Pentecost and referenced throughout Acts and the Epistles.
9. WE BELIEVE…Sanctification Initially Occurs at Salvation and is not only a declaration that a believer is holy, but also a progressive lifelong process of separating from evil as believers continually draw closer to God and become more Christlike.
10. WE BELIEVE…The Church has a Mission to seek and save all who are lost in sin. We believe ‘the Church’ is the Body of Christ and consists of the people who, throughout time, have accepted God’s offer of redemption (regardless of religious denomination) through the sacrificial death of His son Jesus Christ.
11. WE BELIEVE…A Divinely Called and Scripturally Ordained Leadership Ministry Serves the Church. The Bible teaches that each of us under leadership must commit ourselves to reach others for Christ, to worship Him with other believers, to build up or edify the body of believers–the Church and to meet human need with ministries of love and compassion.
12. WE BELIEVE…Divine Healing of the Sick is a Privilege for Christians Today and is provided for in Christ’s atonement (His sacrificial death on the cross for our sins). [1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the AG]
13. WE BELIEVE…in The Blessed Hope—When Jesus Raptures His Church Prior to His Return to Earth (the second coming). At this future moment in time all believers who have died will rise from their graves and will meet the Lord in the air, and Christians who are alive will be caught up with them, to be with the Lord forever. [1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the AG]
14. WE BELIEVE…in The Millennial Reign of Christ when Jesus returns with His saints at His second coming and begins His benevolent rule over earth for 1,000 years. This millennial reign will bring the salvation of national Israel and the establishment of universal peace.
15. WE BELIEVE…A Final Judgment Will Take Place for those who have rejected Christ. They will be judged for their sin and consigned to eternal punishment in a punishing lake of fire.
16. WE BELIEVE…and look forward to the perfect New Heavens and a New Earth that Christ is preparing for all people, of all time, who have accepted Him. We will live and dwell with Him there forever following His millennial reign on Earth. ‘And so shall we forever be with the Lord!’
ACADEMIC INFORMATION Attach a vita which includes the following information
1. College or Universities attended; degrees and dates (please note majors, concentrations, and minors)
2. Employment history
3. Professional organizations/activity involvement
4. Professional publications which have included your work
5. Academic or professional honors you have been awarded
6. Experiences with online instruction
7. References; include three contacts for information (pastor, employer, and co-worker)
WRITTEN RESPONSES 1. On a separate document describe your spiritual journey 2. Describe your approach to teaching 3. Explain your philosophy of Christian Higher Education DISCLAIMER In compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Acts of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendment of 1972, and with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Evangel University does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, sex, or physical handicap in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. The University reserves its right to operate as a church-related institution and to develop policies consistent with the religious tenets of its sponsoring denomination, The Assemblies of God. Click here to complete and submit faculty application:https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=1042051 By electronically submitting the online applications, you are certifying that your answers are true and complete to the best of your knowledge. If the application leads to employment, any false or misleading information in your application or interview may result in your release.