Symphonic Band and Jazz Orchestra to perform annual lawn concert Tuesday, April 22
April 7, 2014 | Ashli O'Connell
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – The Evangel University Symphonic Band, directed by Dr. Michael Kolstad, and Jazz Orchestra, directed by Joel Griffin, will perform their annual lawn concert on Tuesday, April 22, at 6 p.m.
The concert will be held on the southeast corner of the quadrangle, behind the Riggs Hall administration building. In the case of inclement weather, the concert will be held in the Robert H. Spence Chapel Auditorium.
The public is welcome to attend, and there is no cost for the concert.
“This is an exciting, end-of-year tradition at Evangel,” Kolstad said. “It gives us an opportunity to feature our graduating seniors and outstanding students as guest conductors and soloists.”
Symphonic Band program
- Blow, Gabriel, Blow, by Cole Porter (featuring the trumpet section)
- Ride, by Samuel R. Hazo
- Cambrian Explosion, by Richard Saucedo (student conductor – senior Emily Engebretson)
- Washington Post March, by John Philip Sousa (student conductor –senior Jerrica Reynolds)
- Fortress Variations, by Tim Waters (student conductor – senior Jonathan Martz)
- Selections from The Wizard of Oz, by Harold Arlen and E.Y. Harburg (student conductor – junior Amber Blaylock)
- Procession of the Sorcerers, by Robert Buckley (student conductor – senior Shelby Weir)
Jazz Orchestra program
- Switch in Time, by Nestico (soloists – Jonathan Martz, junior Desiree Bonitz and Josh Parrish)
- Samantha, by Nestico (soloist – senior Kyle Nelson)
- Sister Sadie, by Horace Silver (soloists – Kyle Nelson, Desiree Bonitz, junior Chris Latorre and senior Nicole Sullivan)
The lawn concert will be followed by the Evangel University Jazz Combo concert at 7:30 p.m. in the Barnett Recital Hall. Both concerts are open to the public and free of charge.
For more information, contact the Music Department.