Six Riggs Scholarship winners enroll at Evangel

Published on Sep 10, 2014 by Evangel University News

SPRINGFIELD, MO — Six of the ten Ralph Riggs Scholarship recipients from the Assemblies of God Trust are attending Evangel University this fall, including the top two, who are recipients of $30,000 scholarships. The remainders have each received $5,000 scholarships.

Matthew Cederblom of Springfield, Mo., and Brianna Maybee of Janesville, Wisc., have been named as the recipients of the pair of $30,000 Ralph Riggs General Superintendent’s Scholarships for 2014.

Ralph Riggs Scholarships, one of four scholarship/grant programs sponsored by the Assemblies of God Trust, are awarded annually to a select number of high school graduates planning to attend Assemblies of God colleges and universities.

Dr. George O. Wood, AG general superintendent and AGTrust chairman, explains, “Training young leaders and helping them move into ministry quickly is one of AGTrust’s major initiatives to help make sure our Fellowship is strong and healthy for future generations.”

The Alliance of AG Higher Education committee selects recipients based on their outstanding academic merit and exemplary community church service, Christian life and personal references.

Cederblom and Maybee will have their scholarships distributed to them over a four-year period.

Eight additional graduates will receive a Riggs Scholarship of $5,000 each. All 10 students are attending an Assemblies of God college or university beginning this semester, fall 2014.

RiggsGuyMatthew Cederblom, son of Reverend Ted and Robbin Cederblom, is a graduate of Kickapoo High School in Springfield and is now attending Evangel University in Springfield. According to his high school guidance counselor, Cederblom’s “integrity is impeccable. He is self-motivated to achieve to the best of his ability. You could not pick a finer student than Matthew for your prestigious scholarship.”

“As a recipient of the Ralph Riggs General Superintendent’s Scholarship, I want to say thank you to the AGTrust donors that made this possible,” Cederblom says. “Not only is it a financial help, positioning me after college to pursue God’s plan for my life with less debt, but also it gives a sense of affirmation of the years of working hard in high school and my Christian walk.

“My prayer is that my life and conduct will be representative of Jesus Christ and of the Assemblies of God, both during my college years and then throughout my life,” Cederblom says. “I am a product of the Assemblies of God, from my grandparents as AG missionaries to my dad, uncles, brother and cousins as AG pastors. Now I am going to strive to carry the baton in a way that honors this great Fellowship.”

riggsgirlBrianna Maybee, daughter of Stacy and Linda Maybee, is a graduate of Milton High School in Milton, Wisconsin, and also is attending Evangel University. Academically, she ranks first in her senior class.

“From the time I was young, I knew I wanted to go to Evangel,” Maybee says. “But as my senior year started, I knew I would need a financial miracle for the door to be opened

“When we received a call from AGTrust informing me that I was a recipient of the General Superintendent’s Scholarship, I felt so relieved and honored. It is such a blessing to know that the finances are in place! I am happy to be a part of the Assemblies of God, and I am grateful that AGTrust honors education from a godly Christian standpoint.”

This scholarship program is funded through the generosity of donors to AGTrust. Since 2009, AGTrust has awarded $1,890,320 to 697 students attending AG colleges and universities through four scholarship/grant programs.

The Ralph Riggs Scholarship is named for former Assemblies of God General Superintendent Ralph M. Riggs, an early advocate for higher education in the Fellowship. Below is the complete list of 2014 Ralph Riggs Scholarship recipients.

Ralph Riggs General Superintendent’s $30,000 Scholarship Recipients

* Matthew Cederblom — Springfield, Mo. — Evangel University

* Brianna Maybee — Janesville, Wisc. — Evangel University

Ralph Riggs $5,000 Scholarship Recipients

* Emily Brown — Goshen, Ky. — Evangel University

* Brian Guisinger — Rainier, Ore. — Northwest University

* Jennifer Holmes — Salem, Mo. — Evangel University

* Laura Karst — Valley Center, Kan. — Evangel University

* Alyssah Orr — Fair Grove, Mo. — Evangel University

* Andrew Prescott — Guthrie, Okla. — Southwestern AG University

* Austin Rains — Topeka, Kan. — Southwestern AG University

* Rebecca Whittaker — Brandon, Fla. — Southeastern University

For more information about AGTrust and its scholarship/grant programs, see http://www.agtrust.org.

###

WRITTEN BY: Amber Weigand-Buckley, 1996 Evangel graduate