- Principal will highlight partnership between Weller & Evangel
- 10-year-old Weller student Ana Herrin to sing
- EU Athletics Department has donated 400 Evangel sweatshirts to Weller kids
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – Dr. Rebecca Donaldson, principal of Weller Elementary School, will be the guest speaker for Evangel University’s chapel on Friday, Feb. 12, at 10 a.m.
She will be joined by 10-year-old Weller student Ana Herrin, who will sing “His Eye is on the Sparrow,” during the presentation. Three Evangel students will accompany her on the song.
Donaldson will be speaking on the topic of Christian service to neighboring communities, highlighting the sustained partnership between Evangel and Weller Elementary.
“I want to express to Evangel students how community service through partnering is a good thing for everyone,” Donaldson said.
Students in Evangel’s Athletics Department have had a long-term commitment to working with the Weller students, both at their school and through the Boys & Girls Clubs in the area.
The Evangel TOUCHdown Academic Program is a mentoring program that offers opportunities for one-on-one involvement over an extended period of time, as EU athletes help the students set and meet academic goals.
The Evangel athletes encourage the kids to think positively about academics and opportunities.
Donaldson’s goal is to help her students get a vision for their future. “We are trying to push kids to go to college and this is a great way to highlight that,” she said.
Building to “Weller Family Night” at Evangel on Feb. 17
• On Friday, Feb. 5, Dr. Dennis McDonald, athletics director, and Coach Wes Welch delivered 400 Evangel sweatshirts to students and staff at Weller as part of a campaign by the Evangel’s Athletics Department to provide those in need with warm clothing.
In addition, “We are wanting to provide a spark for the children to begin thinking that they, too, can attend college,” said McDonald.
• On Friday, Feb. 12, Dr. Donaldson will speak in the Evangel chapel at 10 a.m.
• On Tuesday, Feb. 16, the EU men’s and women’s basketball teams will be at Weller Elementary at 10:00 a.m. for a 30-minute classroom presentations.
“One team member will be speaking in each classroom, passing out tickets to the Weller students and their families to attend the Evangel vs. Missouri Valley basketball game the next day,” said McDonald.
• On Wednesday, Feb. 17, students, families, teachers and staff of Weller Elementary are invited to attend a Weller Family Night at Evangel. The guests will be treated to a home game for the men and women’s basketball teams.
The 40-member Weller Show Choir will be performing the National Anthem prior to the men’s game.
“Our guests will arrive at 6:00 pm to cheer on the Lady Crusaders in the second half of their game,” said McDonald. “There will be a 10-minute meet and greet with members of the Lady Crusader basketball team immediately after the women’s game.
“The program will officially be over at halftime of the men’s game, but any remaining Weller guests who are there after the men’s game will be invited to gather courtside for a brief rally, prayer and meet the members of the men’s team” said McDonald.
The athletics ministry team will help facilitate the event on Wednesday, and they will assist parents and staff with Weller students.
For more information about Weller Family Night at Evangel University, contact Dr. Dennis McDonald at (417)-865-2815 ext. 7285