Brianna Petersen: Founders Scholar majoring in Marketing and Management

October 24, 2014

Brianna Petersen, a junior and 2012 Founders Scholar from Firth, Nebraska, loves to learn. Her desire to learn is evident in her pursuit of two academic majors and four minors. She recognizes the beauty of her time as a student at Evangel, and she longs to make the most out of these four years of college. She also recognizes that God’s hand is present and guiding her as she prepares for the unique and beautiful future He has in store for her. Though she is unsure of what that future entails specifically, she trusts that God will use her many passions to give Him glory.

What are some of your hobbies/interests?

I love staying active, whether that be through playing sports (tennis, softball, basketball, etc.), Krav Maga, or simply going on walks with friends. I also enjoy drawing, reading, and hanging out with friends. Oh and eating. Can’t forget eating. I also love training my therapy dog that I would take into nursing homes, though I had to give that up when I came to Evangel. No dogs in the dorms…I’m thinking Senate should propose a bill to amend this. (Just kidding.)

Why did you choose to attend Evangel?

Honestly, I didn’t want to come to Evangel at first. My brother attended Evangel, and I wanted to blaze my own trail. I didn’t want to keep following him. So I resisted. When I first visited, I told myself I wasn’t going to like it, and I convinced myself that Evangel wasn’t where God wanted me. However, my mom encouraged me to still apply for the Founder’s Scholarship, which I did. Through this whole process, God made it perfectly clear that He wanted me to attend Evangel. By far, attending Evangel has been the best decision that I ever made.

What are you currently studying?

I am majoring in Marketing and Management, as well as minoring in TESOL (Teaching English as a Second Language), Intercultural Studies, and Biblical Studies.

How I came to be these majors and minors…funny and long story. Well, in high school, I verbally said that I would never be a business major. Ever. But God had different plans. Before I came to Evangel, I was trying to decide between Business and Elementary Education. I job shadowed a Kindergarten teacher and by noon, I had a headache. That solidified my decision; I realized that education wasn’t for me.

Regarding my minors, I fell in love with studying the Bible, so I added the Biblical Studies minor. I added the TESOL minor because it provides an avenue to get into countries (specifically India) with the ultimate goal of spreading the Gospel. Lastly, I added the Intercultural Studies minor after my spring break trip to India. With the direction that God is leading me in right now, it only made sense to add this minor.

Did you visit campus prior to moving in?

I visited Evangel and stayed overnight during Founder’s weekend. I stayed overnight in Burgess and loved it; in fact, this was the reason why I chose Burgess as my home. Visiting Evangel gave me a taste of what life at Evangel would be like. Talking to current students and professors was an invaluable opportunity that helped confirm my decision to attend Evangel.

What makes the environment at Evangel special?

The professors truly care. You build such a special connection with your professors. It’s not uncommon to ask for prayer or to pray with a professor. It’s not uncommon to go to a professor’s house for dinner or some other gathering. The professors want you to grow not only academically, but spiritually as well. They truly care. This just plays into the fact that Evangel is like a family. Having brothers and sisters in Christ comes alive here.

What is the best thing about the Business Department?

There is always something to get involved in. The Business Department always has real world, meaningful projects and groups to get involved with. They are constantly looking to improve things and create new opportunities. After you graduate, you won’t be stranded. Evangel prepares you to take what you’ve learned, go out into the world, and serve God and people in whatever vocation or situation you’re in.

What extracurricular activities are you involved in?

I’ve participated in various extracurricular activities during my time at Evangel including intramural sports, Directed Marketing Research, Business Student Advisory Council, Floor Hall Treasurer, Feet that Move, and SIFE/PBL. I love being involved at Evangel. I’ve especially loved Directed Marketing Research, which provides me the opportunity to take what I’ve learned and apply it toward meaningful projects in the community. The opportunity to work one-on-one with Dr. Wubbena and have him mentor me to dig deeper into marketing has been an unbelievably invaluable experience. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Why should a prospective student choose Evangel?

Why shouldn’t one choose Evangel? I can’t say enough good things about Evangel. Evangel has provided all the avenues for me to grow spiritually, academically, and simply as an individual. I’ve gained lifelong friends and mentors. I’ve encountered God here more times than I can count. Evangel doesn’t just have the title of a Christian school. Evangel is truly Christ-centered. Evangel lives up to its motto: Boldly Christian. Unquestionably academic. These two together…you can’t beat that.

VISION: Fresh Air for the Windy City

Asante

VISION: Changed Up with Jon and Jennifer Barratt

2016 spring vision (14)-12

VISION: Toni Robinson’s Stage Presents

VISION: Janine Maxwell’s Hope for Africa

Janine Maxwell cover

VISION: No Pain – Our Gain

Dr Josh Little-cover