EU Founders Scholarship opens doors for honor students like Joel Manzi

January 4, 2015

Not sure where he wanted to attend college, Joel Manzi applied to 15 universities as a high school senior. But after his admissions counselor told him about the Founders Scholarship program, Manzi decided he had to travel from Cincinnati, Ohio to visit Evangel.

Manzi found Evangel to be a perfect fit, and now as a sophomore, Manzi is studying Biological Chemistry. His goal is to become a doctor and specialize in pediatrics and infectious diseases. The Founders Scholarship Manzi received allows him to learn and serve on campus. 

“The Founders Scholarship I was awarded has opened a lot of doors for me. This scholarship made it possible for me to attend Evangel. Now that I’m a student here, it has opened many doors for me on campus in leadership positions and service opportunities.”

You could receive our premier Founders Scholarship!

• 3.5 High School GPA
  • 25+ ACT Composite or SAT of 1130 (M+CR)
  • Completed Founders Application
  • Apply by January 21, 2015
  • Must attend Founders Weekend February, 20-21
  • Must demonstrate strong Christian character

Learn More

What sparked your interest in attending Evangel?
Growing up, I had seen the ads for EU in the Pentecostal Evangel magazine at church. My mom suggested that I should visit campus, and I came to an EU Preview day. I spent the night in Scott Hall and everything just clicked. I felt immediately at home on campus and knew this is where God wanted me to be.
Why did you choose the degree area you are studying now?
If you would have told me I was going to be a Biological Chemistry major four years ago, I never would have believed you. In high school, I was very involved in the music department, and my favorite classes were English and Spanish. It wasn’t until I took biology my junior year of high school that I realized that I did actually like science. It was through that class that God really revealed his calling on my life to the medical field.
What are your goals after college? How has Evangel helped you work towards these goals?
I plan on going to medical school to become a physician, most likely with a specialty in pediatrics and infectious diseases. There is a great need for Christian doctors to serve these vulnerable populations. The classes and professors at Evangel have done a great job of preparing me for my future schooling and life as a Christian professional. In addition to academics, Evangel has also provided me opportunity to work with several organizations, such as Convoy of Hope and HealthCare Ministries, where I can I can take what I have learned in the classroom and apply it in ways that address real-world, global issues.
What would you say about Evangel’s Founders Scholarship Program?
I would absolutely encourage anyone considering Evangel that meets the requirements for the Founders Scholarship to apply. You’ll never get the scholarship money you don’t apply for — that’s how the saying goes, right? God will open and close the doors he wants. Don’t close any of the doors for him.

Joel Manzi Lab

Joel Manzi is tutoring other students as a Lab Assistant while he prepares for medical school.

What was the process of applying for Founders like?
When I was invited to come to campus for Founders Weekend, I was a little nervous about the interview process. Once I got here, the professors made it clear that they weren’t trying to scare us, and they genuinely wanted to get to know us. It was really rewarding to meet other students and professors who were passionate about their education and their faith.
What is your favorite part about the Science and Technology Department?
Without a doubt, the professors are the best part of the Science and Technology Department. They value my development as a student as well as my development as a person. Science classes are challenging, but it’s worth the time and effort because you know your professors are just as committed to the class as you are.
What is the best part about living on campus?
I live Scott Hall on the Honors Floor (Scott First South). It has been a great experience learning to live in Christian community. I attended a public high school and didn’t have many Christian friends, so being able to be surrounded by a group of people who shared a similar set of core beliefs was a foreign concept to me. However, I have found that living on campus in an intentional Christian community, is one of the best parts of attending Evangel.
What extracurricular activities are you involved in, and how have they enriched your experience?
I am a member of Scott Hall Council, and I represent my hall in the ESGA Senate. In this role, I get to help plan events across campus and influence decisions regarding school policies and campus projects, among other things. I am also a lab assistant for the General Chemistry laboratory and help oversee student experiments and provide homework help at weekly study sessions.
Why would you recommend Evangel to someone else?
Evangel is a great place to learn, but more importantly it’s a great place to grow and live in Christian community. You learn so much more than what you find in your textbooks, and that is invaluable. People here are serious about God and serious about the calling that he has placed on their lives. If that sounds like you, then Evangel is a great place to be.

Photo by Aimee Whitmire