Charisse Green: Elementary Education major

January 26, 2015

Charisse Green, a junior Elementary Education major from Southern California, loves her entire experience at Evangel University.  As a Resident Assistant and an active member of several other activities on campus, she enjoys the passions she is able to cultivate and the many friendships she is able to make and maintain with fellow EU students.  

Why did you choose to attend Evangel?

Honestly, my choice to attend Evangel was no easy one. I think my whole life I expected that choosing college would be one of those “audible voice” moments from God where I hear Him senior year of high school call out from the heavens which college I’m supposed to go to. Well, I don’t know about you, but that just wasn’t the case for me. I struggled so much deciding because I was under the disillusionment of “The College Choice” itself. Now that I’m here (and I love it by the way), I realize God would have gone with me no matter where I would have gone. I mean, sure, I think the Lord has a purpose in my being here, and I’m so thankful to be here. I absolutely love EU.

What caused you to choose your particular area of study?

I am studying Elementary Education with minors in French and Art. Honestly, I love all three of these fields of study, and I see no better time or place to learn and grow than right here in school.

Did you visit campus prior to moving in?

My parents and older sister are alumni of Evangel and so I have grown up visiting campus. However, my junior year of high school I came on campus and actually stayed in the dorms, went to classes, met some professors and ate in the Caf. It definitely gave me a much better feel for campus life. I actually did a campus visit for another school that I originally thought I would go to, and after that visit I knew it wasn’t for me. I definitely suggest visiting because I think it helps the process a lot more when you know the campus.

What makes the environment at Evangel special?

The professors are some of the most incredibly wise people that not only pour into students academically but also on a spiritual and relational level. I have had more than ten professors in my three years here who have personally invested in my life, invited me to their house for dinner, and check in with me about how I’m doing in my personal life. The kind of love and passion Evangel’s staff and faculty has for the students is insane. Also, I can’t imagine my life now without the friends I’ve met here. Evangel is such a great place to connect with others spiritually, academically and socially.

What is the best thing about the Education Department at Evangel?

I love the Education Department because it carries some of the most prestigious acclaim of the state of Missouri and is acclaimed for the wonderful program we offer. Our professors are top-notch. They allow their passion for teaching, combined with their classroom experience and post-graduate studies, to fuel their teaching in the classroom. Nothing that we do is ever “busy work” but always has purpose for what our future classroom will look like. I also appreciate that our department offers so much hands-on experience in the classroom by getting us into actual schools our first year on campus. The practicum and student teaching experience is the best way to prepare us for future teaching, so I’m thankful we get so much experience.

What extracurricular activities are you involved in?

I am a work study in the Education Department and also a Residential Assistant (RA) in Spence Hall. I also have been a three-year member of Concert Choir and a member of Activities Board. Before I became an RA, I was floor president and a discipleship leader on my floor.

What are your goals after you graduate?

I plan on doing full-time missions work in an Arab country, working with unreached Muslim people groups. I hope to use my teaching degree overseas and maybe even use my French and Art. Who knows?

Why should a prospective student choose Evangel?

Honestly you can go anywhere in the world and receive a degree in almost anything. However that’s not what college is about. The experience of living with people who are like-minded, being spurred on and held accountable by lifelong friends made here, sitting in lectures with pillars of faith that our professors are and experiencing all EU has to offer….there’s nothing else like it. College is about more than a degree. You become who God has made you to be at EU if you allow yourself the transformation He wants to do in and with you.

VISION: Fresh Air for the Windy City

Asante

VISION: Changed Up with Jon and Jennifer Barratt

2016 spring vision (14)-12

VISION: Toni Robinson’s Stage Presents

VISION: Janine Maxwell’s Hope for Africa

Janine Maxwell cover

VISION: No Pain – Our Gain

Dr Josh Little-cover