SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – The Assemblies of God Theological Seminary of Evangel University (AGTS) will hold its annual Baccalaureate Service at noon on Thursday, May 2, 2019, in the William J. Seymour Chapel.
Seventy-one scholars from 30 states and six foreign countries will earn degrees from AGTS this spring, including 25 doctorates and 46 Master of Divinity and Master of Arts degrees.
The service will feature the gathering of the Seminary community for worship, hooding of graduates, awards and special speakers. AGTS is located at the corner of Glenstone and Division in Springfield. The public is invited.
The AGTS events will be under the leadership of Dr. Timothy Hager, dean of the seminary and vice president of Evangel University.
This year’s baccalaureate will highlight four 2019 degree candidates:
- Derrick Anthony Spears (Master of Divinity) — He is currently a U.S. Army Chaplain Candidate, 1LT, and associate pastor at Life 360 Fairbanks in Springfield, Mo.
- Barbara Suzanne Houser (Doctor of Philosophy in Intercultural Studies) — She is a General Council approved Home Missionary/Correctional Chaplain with the South Carolina Department of Corrections, Kirkland Reception and Evaluation Institution, in Columbia, S.C.
- Brian Wayne Lidbeck (Doctor of Philosophy in Biblical Interpretation and Theology) — He is academic dean at Northpoint College in Grand Rapids, Mich.
- Yoriko Yabuki (Doctor of Ministry) — She is the missionary in residence at Central Assembly of God in Springfield, Mo., and director of National Japanese Fellowship Women’s Ministries.
Doctoral candidates and their work will be honored during a series of public events on Thursday, May 2, at 9 a.m., including:
- Intercultural Doctoral Studies Investiture in AGTS’ William Seymour Chapel;
- Doctor of Ministry Symposia in rooms 114 and 116; and
- Biblical Interpretation and Theology Celebration in AGTS North Hall.
The public is invited to attend.
The Baccalaureate Ceremony and Intercultural Doctoral Studies Investiture will be streamed live at agts.edu. Commencement at James River will be streamed live at evangel.edu.
Commencement on Friday
The Seminary’s 46th Annual Commencement Celebration will be held on Friday, May 3, 2019, at 9:30 a.m., in conjunction with the 61st Annual Commencement Ceremony for Evangel University, in the James River Church auditorium in Ozark, Mo.
More than 4,000 family and friends from around the world will celebrate more than 500 graduates earning associates, bachelors, masters and doctoral degrees at that time. The public is invited to attend.
About AGTS & Evangel University
AGTS serves the larger Pentecostal and Evangelical traditions with 21st-century leadership for the Church and its mission. AGTS is accredited by The Association of Theological Schools in the U.S. and Canada.
As an embedded seminary, AGTS with Evangel University serves more than 2,100 students from all 50 states and numerous countries, offering more than 65 undergraduate majors, and 19 master’s and doctoral degrees.