SPRINGFIELD, Mo. — Eight Evangel University students will participate in the Washington D.C. Studies Program, Feb. 28 – March 9. The trip, sponsored by the social sciences department, will provide students the opportunity to work alongside senators and representatives on Capitol Hill.
“The department sponsors this trip each year. It includes briefings from World Vision, The Heritage Foundation and members of Congress as well as staffers,” said Dr. Bryan Sanders, social sciences department chair and faculty sponsor for the trip.
“This unique program is the high point of many of our students’ time here on campus,” Sanders said.
During the first week of the internship, students will visit governmental & historical sites like the Diplomatic Reception Rooms of the State Department, The Capitol Building, the Holocaust Memorial museum and numerous other points of interest.
During the second week, students will intern in senatorial, congressional or other federal government offices.
Participating students include the following:
- Elliot Adams, junior government major from Fort Wayne, Ind.
- Paul Bayer, senior government major from Ft. Calhoun, Neb.
- Hannah Beers, junior advertising & public relations major from Steelville, Mo.
- Jessica Howes, junior international studies major from Cincinnati, Ohio
- Ryan Odle, junior government major from Cherry Valley, Calif.
- Lindsey Mead, senior international studies major from Liberty Township, Ohio
- Cody Mitchell, senior international studies major from Johnsonville, Ill.
- Whitney Samaan, senior international studies major from Phenix City, Ala.
About the annual trip
Students are eligible to apply for the Washington Studies Program if they have enrolled in the GOVT 492 course. In order to earn the three class credits that the program offers, students must complete additional research and readings.
A variation of the Washington Studies Program began at Evangel in the spring of 1958. Sanders has participated in the trip for more than 20 years.
For additional information, contact Dr. Bryan Sanders at (417) 865-2811, ext. 8223.