SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – After the residence halls officially closed at 1 p.m. on Dec. 16, Evangel University faculty and staff members gathered in Riggs Hall to celebrate the holiday season with a round of indoor golf.
Entry was free, for what is hoped to be a new holiday tradition. More than 100 enjoyed the competition, fun and fellowship, with 64 actually participating in the golf tournament.
There were a wide variety of hot drinks and sweet treats set up around the course, in the offices of President Carol Taylor and Vice Presidents Michael McCorcle, Linda Allen, Sheri Phillips and Michael Kolstad.
“The custom 9-hole putt-putt course teed off in the Executive Conference Room and followed the hallways in and around the third floor of the administration building,” said Hector Cruz, event co-coordinator. “We had a blast transforming Riggs, although we probably did a little too much ‘testing’ leading up to the event.”
The competition was fierce due to a variety of prizes, including gift cards from the EU Bookstore, Andy’s, Chick-fil-A and Dark Stone Coffee. *
For those who didn’t care for a round of golf, there was a Christmas ornament decorating station in the lobby. Lobby treats were provided by the IT Department. Coffee was provided by EU grad Eric Huie, owner of Dark Stone Coffee.
“A good time was had by all,” said Micah Billman, the other event co-coordinator.
• Best Overall Individual Score — We had three players with an incredible score of 25. After performing the pre-determined tie-breakers, the overall individual score winner is…
Thomas Biro. Congratulations, Thomas. You win a $50 gift card to the EU bookstore. Be sure to thank Scott Avery for his donation to our event.
• Best Overall Team Score — With a low team score of 112 the overall team score winner is…
Jon Jenkins, Josh Cincotta, Dennis Johnson, Matt Petry. These guys each win a $10 Andy’s gift card and a gift basket from Meek Chiropractic valued at $250 to share!
• Hole 8 Hole-in-One Challenge — Believe it or not, we actually had someone make a hole-in-one on the longest hole, Hole 8, and it was the last player in the last group.
Congratulations to Bethany Biro on an incredible shot. She won a $10 Andy’s gift card.
• Highest Overall Team Score (which isn’t what you want in golf) — This team gave their best effort, but it wasn’t quite enough. With a high score that will not be shared here, the “winners” are…
Kimberly Overby, Robin Strathdee, Teresa DeVries, Carrie Wileman. You win some leftover coffee grounds, some leftover cookies, and a hearty handshake.
* All winners can come by the University Advancement office to collect their prizes.