“My passion for adult education grew as I saw students achieve things they never dreamed for themselves,” said Dr. Lisa Tyson, director of the College of Adult and Graduate Studies at Evangel University.
“When I joined the EU staff in 2004, I served with a director who had passion for adult education — she was an adult learner herself,” said Tyson. “As I worked with our students and heard their stories, it became a natural part of my growth as well.”
Tyson has gained national recognition for the programs offered at Evangel, and in mid-June, she was elected president of the Christian Adult Higher Education Association.
CAHEA provides a platform for discussion, research and the exchange of ideas on educating nontraditional students. The most recent gathering was held June 10-13, 2018, in Colorado Springs.
There are 60 member colleges of CAHEA. The association was founded in 1995 and is based out of Garland, Texas.
“Lisa’s 15 years of dedicated work in this field has made Evangel degrees more accessible to many adults following their call,” said Michael McCorcle, provost and executive vice president at Evangel.
- More than 1,000 adults have completed their bachelor’s degrees at Evangel University since the adult education programs started in 2001.
- In addition, more than 790 have earned their master’s degrees at Evangel since Evangel added graduate studies in 1998.
- The Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership, Curriculum & Instruction program began in 2014, and the first nine students completed their degrees this spring.
“Lisa’s election to this leadership post by her peers is indicative of her nationally-recognized expertise, innovation, and passion for educating adult students,” McCorcle added.
At Evangel, Dr. Tyson is leading on many fronts.
Along with guiding the adult, graduate, and James River programs, she is spearheading new church extension programs in Indiana and Florida. She is also leading the development of new online certificate programs.
Locally, she is a member the Springfield Chamber of Commerce tuition assistance and degree attainment group and has been a member of Springfield 2025, a higher education project.
A native of Winfield, Kansas, Tyson earned both her Bachelor of Arts in Government and her Master of Organizational Leadership from Evangel University. In 2017, she completed her Ph.D. in Global Leadership, with a specialization in academic administration, from Indiana Institute of Technology.
Lisa and her husband, Allen, have four children aged 13 to 21.
For more information, call the College of Adult & Graduate Studies at Evangel University: (417) 865-2811, ext. 8269.
SIDEBAR: Evangel University College of Adult & Graduate Studies
- AA General Studies (online)
- AA Management (online)
- BS Management (online)
- BS Church Ministries (online)
- BS General Studies (online) *New Summer 2018
- BS Behavioral Health (online) *New Spring 2018
- BS Computer Information Systems (online) *New Fall 2018
- Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Science in School Counseling
- Master of Organizational Leadership (online with residency component)
- Master of Science in Athletic Training
- Master of Education in Curriculum & Instruction (online)
- Master of Education in Educational Leadership (online)
- Master of Education in Literacy (blended)
- Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership, Curriculum & Instruction
- Certificate in Cybersecurity (online) *New Fall 2018
- Certificate in Crisis Intervention & Suicide Prevention (online) *New Fall 2018
- Lean Six Sigma Certification (hybrid) *New Summer/Fall 2018