George Carballo named CBC’s Outstanding Young Alumnus for 2018

Published on Oct 3, 2018 by Paul K. Logsdon

In the nine years since George Carballo graduated from Central Bible College (CBC), there hasn’t been a lot of time for reflection.

As a speaker, writer and self-described “church media enthusiast,” Carballo has served as everything from a creative director, to a Speed the Light director, to an evangelist… and that’s just part of the story.

The Houston, Texas-born Carballo has been able to speak to cross-cultural groups throughout the United States and other countries, putting his 2009 bachelor’s degree in youth ministries to use. Within the church, he has held positions—sometimes simultaneously—such as assistant to the pastor, young adults pastor, sectional youth director and bible school teacher.

Since 2010, he has served as the district youth director for the Texas Louisiana Hispanic District of the Assemblies of God.

George Carballo now adds another distinction to the list, as the CBC Outstanding Young Alumnus for 2018. The presentation will be made during the Homecoming Banquet Saturday, Oct. 20, at 6:30 p.m., at the Bass Pro White River Conference Center. CBC consolidated with Evangel, its sister school in Springfield, Missouri, in 2013.

The Alumni Board recognizes that many young alumni have enjoyed significant achievements in the few years since their graduation, although they may not yet have reached the height of their accomplishments. Nominees for the Outstanding Young Alumnus Award are under 36 and have made significant contributions to their chosen field, church, community, state, nation, or to university or seminary.

Building for the future

2018b George & Rocio Carballo
George and Rocio Carballo // PHOTO: Provided (CLICK TO ENLARGE)

The Rev. Carballo and his wife, Rocio, are now preparing for a new transition and, in the process, taking some time to  reflect. As he posted on social media, “As I sit back and look at the past year and look ahead toward what is to come in this next season, I can’t begin to express how grateful I am for what God is about to do next.”

That “next” is the launch of a new church plant in Houston—the fourth largest city in the U.S. with a population of more than 6 million people. Over the next year, the Carballo’s will be building a team, raising funds, and praying for direction for VIVE Church.

“I first met George over 10 years ago,” said Michael Fernandez, young adult pastor for Cornerstone Church in San Antoniao, Texas. “He was and continues to be a young man of radical passion and commitment to the Lord. He successfully leads the Texas Louisiana Hispanic District with great conviction, and I know that even better days await him and his wife Rocio.”

2018c George Carballo
The Rev. George Carballo at work. // PHOTO: Provided (CLICK TO ENLARGE)

Carballo credits CBC for helping to prepare him for this type of ministry.

“Many of the fondest memories at CBC are moments in the CBC chapel,” he said. “These are irreplaceable moments that shaped my heart and mind for ministry. Each day I was challenged by Godly men and women who motivated me to someday be something bigger than what I currently was.”

He adds, “As I would sit in classes, I would listen to professors express their knowledge of the Bible in ways I had never heard of before; it challenged me to seek out God and get to know him on a deeper level.”

The Carballos currently reside in Houston and are members of Templo Aposento Alto / Upper Room Assembly of God, with Pastors JR & Patsy Rodriguez.

More information about George Carballo’s new ministry can be found at www.vivehouston.org.

###

EU Homecoming 2018 Honorees

Five alumni awards will be given during this year’s homecoming celebration, representing alumni from the three AG schools that consolidated in 2013 — Evangel University, Assemblies of God Theological Seminary, and Central Bible College. The recipients were chosen by the Evangel University Alumni Association board of directors.

For more information, contact Evangel University Alumni Relations Department at (417) 865-2811, ext. 7333.