SPRINGFIELD, Mo. — Jonathan Parker, a U.S. Army veteran who has served four deployments to the Middle East, will perform his senior piano recital at Evangel University on Friday, Feb. 5 at 6 p.m. in the Barnett Recital Hall.
The public is invited to attend, and there is no charge for admission.
“I began playing the piano at the age of eight, but discovered my passion for teaching when I was asked to give lessons to other soldiers while deployed in Afghanistan,” said Parker.
As a music student, Parker performs with the Evangel University Chorale and is active with the National Association for Music Education.
He will graduate this May with a Bachelor of Music Education degree and plans to pursue a career in teaching music in a local school district.
Parker is originally from Chicago, Ill., and currently lives here in Springfield with his wife and son.
Sarah Specter, soprano and senior at Evangel, and Dr. Ligate, professor of music, will accompany him in the duet, The Prayer. Dr. Ligate will also accompany him in the tenor aria, Nessun Dorma.
- French Suite No. 6, J. S. Bach (1685-1750)
- Piano Sonata in F Minor, Op. 2, No. 1, L.V. Beethoven (1770-1827)
- The Prayer, Foster, Sager, Testa and Renis
- Nessun Dorma, Turandot, Puccini (1858-1924)
- Polonaise in A Major, Op. 40, No. 1, F. Chopin (1810-1849)
- La Cathédrale engloutie, “The Sunken Cathedral,” Debussy (1862-1918)
- Two Piano Suite, Richard Bennett (1932-2012)