SPRINGFIELD, Mo. — Evangel University will interview 161 Founders Scholars from 32 states and two foreign countries this weekend. All of the U.S. students will be on campus Feb. 26-27, while the two foreign students will be interviewed via Skype.
“We are pleased to have some of the brightest high school students in the nation to interview for these prestigious scholarships,” said Dr. Michael McCorcle, provost and vice president for academic affairs.
Students interviewing for a Founders Scholarship have an average 3.9 GPA and 28 ACT.
All students interviewing will receive a Founder’s Scholarship ranging from $10,000 to $21,000 per year. Founders Scholarships are renewable for four years, as long as the recipient meets eligibility requirements.
“The 161 recipients were selected based on their applications. Interviews are intended to give information to the Scholarship Awards Committee beyond what is possible on the application,” said McCorcle.
The committee is comprised of faculty members and administrators from Evangel.
Recipients receive awards based on the following criteria:
- Minimum of 3.5 cumulative high school grade point average on a 4.0 scale
- ACT composite score of 25 or above, or SAT (Critical Reading and Math) score of 1130 or above
- Involvement in church, school and community
- Demonstrated strong Christian character
Founders Scholars must also enroll as full-time, first time students in the traditional undergraduate program at Evangel.
The office of admissions will host a variety of events for visitors on Founders Weekend.
10 Year Anniversary Concert
Evangel is hosting a concert celebrating the 10 year anniversary of the Founders Scholarship, on Friday at 6:30 p.m. in Spence Chapel.
Doors open at 6:15 p.m. — the concert is free and open to the public.
Music will be provided by Heartsong, Evangel’s touring ensemble, made up of 12 singers and eight instrumentalists, followed by an encouraging word from EU graduate and Founders recipient, Lauren McCreight.
For more information about these and other scholarship opportunities, contact the Office of Admissions at 417-865-2815 ext. 7205.
SCHEDULE of EVENTS
- 7:45- 8:15 a.m. – Arrival and continental breakfast
- 8:15- 8:30 a.m. – Welcome session
- 8:30-10:00 a.m. – Campus tour
- 10:00-11:00 p.m. – Chapel
- 11:00-12:00 p.m. – Lunch
- 12:00-1:00 p.m. – Q&A with admissions
- 1:00-2:00 p.m. – Special Sessions
- 2:00-4:00 p.m. – Academic department open house
- 3:00-4:00 p.m. – Music auditions/meeting with coaches
- 4:00-6:00 p.m. – Free time/dinner
- 6:00-7:15 p.m. – Founders “10 Year Celebration & Concert”
- 7:15-8:00 p.m. – Dessert reception
- 7:00-8:00 a.m. – Continental breakfast
- 8:00-10:00 a.m. – Student group interviews
- 8:00-12:30 p.m. – Parent info session
- 10:00-12:30 p.m. – Student individual interviews
- 12:30-2:00 p.m. – Luncheon
- 2:00 p.m. – Dismissal