SPRINGFIELD, Mo. — Evangel University theatre students will present the Broadway musical You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown.
Performances will take place in the Barnett Fine Arts Theater at 7 p.m., Thursday through Saturday, April 4-6 and April 11-13. There will also be matinee performances at 2 p.m. on Saturday, April 6, and Saturday, April 13.
Tickets are $10 per person. Group tickets (for groups of 10 or more) are $8 per person. The student rate is $6 per person.
The production will be directed by David Smith, director of Evangel’s theatre program, and Lori Lawley, 1985 Evangel graduate.
You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown is adapted from the comic strip “Peanuts” by Charles M. Schultz, with book, music and lyrics by Clark Gesner.
“This is a show for the entire family. You won’t want to miss this delightful spin on the famous Peanuts comic strip,” Smith said. “Expect a lively play with wonderful music and staging.”
In this musical, Charlie Brown searches for approval from friends Lucy, Patti, Schroeder, Linus and Snoopy. As the kids are handing out Valentines, poor Charlie Brown doesn’t receive any and begins to question his worth as a person.
Lucy sets up her practice as a sidewalk psychologist and tells Charlie Brown that he is unique and special, not like any other kid on the block. Despite his insecurities, Charlie soon learns that he is well-loved by all of his friends.
“It excites me to have the opportunity to portray an American icon,” said Evangel senior Jordan Walker, who plays Charlie Brown. “The musical itself is full of humor, upset and trivial things, but in the end, it’s about finding out who you are. This is what I like most about the musical — its relevancy to life today. It’s a look into how we grow through our triumphs and disappointments. I love the tenderness and love threaded throughout.”
Cast and Characters
- Charlie Brown: Jordan Walker, senior music education major from Mauriceville, Texas
- Linus: Colin Knoth, senior music education major from Springfield, Mo., and Joshua Smith, sophomore theatre/music major from Pueblo, Colo.
- Schroeder: Caleb Schatz, senior music education major from Rogers, Ark.
- Lucy: Brooke Lawley, junior elementary education major from Springfield, Mo., and Gina Moran, senior elementary education major from Long Island, N.Y.
- Patty: Christina Beatie, sophomore music education major from Aurora, Mo., and Katrina McCutchen, senior music education major from Bedford, Texas
- Snoopy: Suzanna Melton, sophomore drama major at Central Bible College, from Smithville, Mo.
- Naomi Lutze, sophomore elementary/middle school education major from Fairbury, Neb.
- Heather Beyer, freshman music education major from Forsyth, Mo.
- Jonathan May, sophomore film major from Bigfork, Mont.
- Andrew Melton, junior biblical studies major from Smithville, Mo.
Behind the Scenes
- Music director: Jonathan Raney, piano accompanist for Silver Dollar City, Evangel University, Springfield Regional Opera Lyric Theatre, Central High School, Missouri Fine Arts Academy, Missouri Southern State University, Missouri State University, Messiah Project, Vandivort Theatre and New Covenant Academy
- Conductor: Kathryn Cole, 2008 graduate of Evangel and 2010 graduate of Missouri State University; music instructor at Evangel University, Ozarks Technical Community College and Grace Classical Academy. Cole is from Munford, Tenn.
- Stage manager: Bethany Thomas, junior theatre/speech education major from Dalhart, Texas
- Choreographer: Taylor Vance, junior biology major from Kansas City, Mo.
- Hair and make-up: Lis Ann O’Gara, junior music education major from Battlecreek, Mich.
- Lighting and sound technician: Mark Silva, sophomore computer science major from Nixa, Mo.
- Set designer: Beth Norris, senior art major from Rochester, N.Y.
- Piano: Jonathan Raney, music director
- Bass guitar: Benjamin Gutowski, freshman music major from Lockport, Ill.
- Percussion: Joshua Parrish, sophomore music education major from Kimberling City, Mo., and Calvin Wickham, senior music industry major from Oklahoma City, Okla.
- Flute: Dodi Lason, senior music education major from Mesa, Ariz., and Kyrie Miles, senior music education major from Ava, Mo.
- Clarinet: Robin Silva, graduate clarinet performance major; clarinet teacher for Evangel University Community School of Arts. Silva is from Springfield, Mo.
Tickets may be purchased at the door or by calling Lisa Kraus at (417) 865-2815, ext. 8640.
Evangel University is a private, Christian university of arts, sciences and professions. With an enrollment of more than 2,000 students from all 50 states and abroad, Evangel offers more than 100 undergraduate academic programs and nine master’s programs.