SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – Evangel University’s 2015 Homecoming Week activities will take place Oct. 1-3, with the theme Celebrating yoU.
“One of the most exciting times of the year at Evangel University is our annual Homecoming weekend,” said Chuck Cox, director of alumni relations. “The festivities provide for incredible interaction between alumni, students, employees and friends.”
A Homecoming highlight is the Celebration Luncheon on Saturday, at 11 a.m., at the University Plaza Convention Center. The Evangel University Alumni Association will honor Distinguished and Outstanding Young Alumni.* In addition, three retired campus leaders will be recognized with “Trees of Honor” designation for their lifetime of dedicated service.**
Other highlights include the campus-wide EU County Fair, a golf tournament, the Convoy of Hope “Lights Run” 5K run/walk presented by Evangel University, Gabfest and EU’s Got Talent and special chapel services on Thursday and Friday mornings at 10 a.m. Alumni guest lectures and class reunion dinners will round out the activities.
New events this year include the inaugural Homecoming game for the women’s soccer program and the return of the men’s program. The teams take on the Avila Eagles on Saturday afternoon, Oct. 3, at Lakes Country Soccer Complex.
Saturday at 7 p.m., the Evangel Crusader football team will close out the Homecoming festivities at Plaster Stadium, when they take on the Graceland Yellowjackets.
For more information, call the Evangel University Alumni Department at (417) 865-2811, ext. 7333, or visit: http://www.evangel.edu/homecoming/
Thursday, Oct. 1
- Chapel service with Michelle (Myers ’03) Jahnke, three-time Emmy award winning producer
- 10 a.m., Robert H. Spence Chapel
- Alumni Panel: 2 p.m., Barnett Recital Hall
- EU County Fair: 4:30 p.m. – 7 p.m. on The Quad
- EU’s Got Talent: 8 p.m., Robert H. Spence Chapel
- Concert featuring Nate and the Saints: 9 p.m., Barnett Recital Hall
Friday, Oct. 2
- Golf Tournament: 9 a.m., River Cut Golf Course
- Chapel service with Dr. Carol A. Taylor (’73), president of Evangel University
- 10 a.m., Robert H. Spence Chapel
- Islam In America Seminar with Dr. Mark Hausfeld, president of AGTS and graduate of Evangel (’80) and AGTS (’83)
- 2 p.m., Seymour Chapel at AGTS
- Reunion Dinners: 5:30 p.m., University Plaza Hotel
- “Lights Run” 5K run/walk: 7 p.m., in front of the Robert H. Spence Chapel
- Gabfest: 8:30 p.m., Riggs Hall Concourse
- Pep Rally: 9:30 p.m., Robert H. Spence Chapel
Saturday, Oct. 3
- Celebration Luncheon: 11 a.m., University Plaza Convention Center
- Men and Women’s Soccer Games vs Avila Eagles: 1:30 p.m. (women’s), 3:30 p.m. (men’s), Lakes Country Soccer Complex
- Tailgate Party on The Quad: 4:30 p.m.
- Football Game vs Graceland Yellowjackets: 7 p.m., Plaster Stadium (MSU Campus)
* Four alumni awards will be given during this year’s homecoming celebration. The recipients were chosen by the Evangel University Alumni Association Board of Directors:
- Evangel Distinguished Alumnus – Robert Ferguson
- Evangel Outstanding Young Alumnus – Amanda (Wachsmuth) Heavens
- CBC Distinguished Alumnus – Rev. David Crabtree
- CBC Outstanding Young Alumnus – Rev. Nick Poole
** Three “Trees of Honor” awardees will be celebrated this year as well:
- Dr. Glenn H. Bernet, retired provost/vice president of academic affairs and former professor of mathematics
- Shirley Shedd, professor emeritus, former chair of the Department of Communication, archivist
- W.E. “Gene” Thomlinson, retired director of campus security/public safety