SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – Four ensembles from Evangel University will perform the Fall Choral Concert on Tuesday, Nov. 7, 2019, at 7:30 p.m. in the Barnett Fine Arts Auditorium.
The concert is free and open to the public. The Barnett Fine Arts Center faces 1111 N. Glenstone Ave., and the entrance is just south of the chapel.
The Evangel University Chorale is a 48 member select choir that performs on both the Evangel University campus and in the community. The mission of the Chorale is to prepare and present the best of sacred classical choral literature.
The Chorale, along with the Women’s Chamber Ensemble, will be under the direction of Tom Matrone, chair of the Department of Music.
The Evangel University Chorus, a group of 66 members performs choral literature from all eras including contemporary formats, and the Men’s Vocal Ensemble will be under the direction of Dr. Kevin Hawkins, associate professor of music education.
The groups will be accompanied by Dr. Greg Morris, professor of music, Dr. Linda Ligate, professor emeritus of music, and Mrs. Jane Harris, professor emeritus of music.
There will also be several student conductors: juniors Nathaniel Parrales & Ella Little and senior Victoria Marques.
The concert will also be online and available to watch live: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/evangel-university-music
- “Salmo 150” by Ernani Aguiar (student conductor Nathaniel Parrales)
- “Open Thou Mine Eyes” by Benjamin Harlan (student conductor Victoria Marques, piano by Mrs. Jane Harris)
- “Elijah Rock” arr. Jester Hairston (student conductor Ella Little)
Men’s Vocal Ensemble
- “Nearer, My God, to Thee” arr. James L. Stevens (solos by Braiden Wells and Nathan Oakley)
- “O Love” by Elaine Hagenberg (cello by Alexa Gambino, piano by Mrs. Jane Harris)
- “Hakuna Mungu” arr. William McKee (djembe by Jordan Willis)
Women’s Chamber Ensemble
- “Sicut Erat” (from the Magnificat) by Niccola Porpora
- “Nothing Short of Grace” by Joan Szymko
- “No Time” arr. Susan Brumfield
- “Alleluia” by Jake Runestad
- “O Admirable Commercium” by Jacob Handl
- “The Heavens’ Flock” by Erik Esenvalds
- “In the Silence” by Jacob Narverud
- “Jacob’s Ladder” African American Spiritual, setting by Daniel Kallman
- “Abide with Me” arr. Lucy Hirt
Music at Evangel
The Department of Music at Evangel University offers majors in music, music education, music performance, recording technology and worship leadership. The department is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music and the Missouri Association of Departments & Schools of Music.
For more information, contact the Music Department at (417) 865-2811, ext. 7212.
Evangel University, with the Assemblies of God Theological Seminary (AGTS), is a comprehensive Christian university committed to excellence in educating and equipping students to serve the church and society globally. Evangel and AGTS serve more than 2,300 students from all 50 states and numerous foreign countries, offering 70 undergraduate majors and 19 master’s and doctoral degrees.