SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – Evangel University will welcome hundreds of alumni and friends to Springfield for its Homecoming 2016 Celebration on October 20 through 22.
Several events are open to the general public, including a 9/11 Panel discussion on Thursday evening commemorating the 15th Anniversary of that tragic day; the annual “EU’s Got Talent” student competition on Friday night; and a variety of athletic competitions on Saturday.
“We are anticipating an exciting Homecoming weekend, with activities specifically designed to provide interaction and engagement between alumni, students, employees and friends of the University,” said President Taylor.
“We especially want our community to join us for the following special events,” she said.
- The 9/11 Panel will take place Thursday, Oct. 20, at 7:45 p.m. in the Barnett Fine Arts Center. Admission is free. Speakers include three members of the Evangel University family who bring unique perspectives to the discussion — former U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft, former Congressman Todd Tiahrt (R-KS), and Dr. Mark Hausfeld, who was working in Pakistan at the time of the attacks.
- The “EU’s Got Talent” competition will take place Friday, Oct. 21, at 8:30 p.m. in the Spence Chapel auditorium. The event will feature a variety of students performing solo, in bands, and maybe even a stand-up comedian or two. Admission is free.
- On Saturday, the men and women’s soccer teams will take on William Penn University at Coryell Field. The ladies game will start at 11 a.m., and the men’s game will start at 1:30 p.m. Admission is free.
- The Evangel Crusader football team will close out the Homecoming 2016 festivities at Ozark High School Stadium, when they take on the Central Methodist Eagles, Saturday at 4:30 p.m. Admission for the football game is $10 for adults and $5 for children.
For alumni discounts, an overview of Evangel’s Homecoming 2016 activities, and to register for meal functions and childcare, please visit: http://www.evangel.edu/homecoming/
For a detailed list of alumni lectures and late additions, please call the Evangel Alumni Department at (417) 865-2811, ext. 7333 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Homecoming 2016 Schedule Highlights:
Thursday, Oct. 20
- Chapel with Alex Bryant ’95, pastor & viral video star with 35+ million views of his call for racial unity: 10 a.m., Spence Chapel
- President’s Leadership Forum: 2 p.m., Barnett Recital Hall
- 9/11 Panel discussion, 15th Anniversary: 7:45 p.m., Barnett Recital Hall
Friday, Oct. 21
- Chapel with Dr. Carol A. Taylor ’73, president of Evangel University: 10 a.m., Spence Chapel
- CBC Prayer Garden Dedication: 11 a.m., North of Spence Chapel
- Islam in America lecture by Dr. Mark Hausfeld, president of AGTS: 2 p.m., Seymour Chapel at AGTS
- Coryell Field Dedication: 4 p.m., Coryell Field is SW of the Ashcroft Center
- Class Reunion Dinners: 5:30 p.m., Crusader Dining Hall
- Night on the Quad: 7 p.m., Center of Campus
- EU’s Got Talent: 8:30 p.m., Robert H. Spence Chapel
Saturday, Oct. 22
- Celebration Luncheon: 11 a.m., University Plaza Convention Center
- Men and Women’s Soccer Games: 11 a.m. (women’s), 1:30 p.m. (men’s), EU’s new Coryell Field
- Tailgate Party: 3:30 p.m., Ozark High School Stadium
- Football Game vs Central Methodist: 4:30 p.m., Ozark High School Stadium