SPRINGFIELD, Missouri – Evangel University has been named a College of Distinction for 2023-24, marking its seventh such recognition. The Departments of Business and Education were specifically noted for their innovative approaches to student learning and development.
For more than 20 years, the educational research group has pointed students to schools that offer exceptional experiences that help them learn, grow, and succeed. Listings are designed to help students discover their “best-fit school.”
“We believe that engaged students are successful students, and Evangel University’s dedication to experiential learning shows us that each of its students has the opportunity to play an active role in their education.” said Tyson Schritter, chief operating officer at Colleges of Distinction.
To be named a College of Distinction, Evangel demonstrated excellence in undergraduate education in such factors as student engagement, teaching excellence, outcomes-based learning, and community involvement. This evaluation process differs from those of popular college rankings publications, whose formulas grade institutions based on things like faculty salaries, endowment size, and peer opinion.
Colleges of Distinction has researched and recognized schools throughout the U.S. since 2000.
“We look for qualities such as accreditation, program breadth, advising and mentoring, integration of career services, and successful student outcomes. It’s truly remarkable to see how Evangel exemplifies these qualities, particularly within the realm of business and management,” Schritter said of the Business Department.
Evangel’s Business programs include Accounting, Business Administration A.A., Business Analytics, Business Education, Business Management (bachelor and associate), Computer Information Systems, Finance, Human Resources Management, Marketing, and Nonprofit Business and Social Enterprise.
Regarding Evangel’s Education Department, “Evangel produces future educators who possess not only in-depth knowledge but also the skills to be effective mentors, providing empathetic support and employing innovative teaching methods,” Schritter said.
Education programs at EU include Childcare and Development A.A., Disability Studies, Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, Middle School Education, and Special Education/Cross-Categorical Disabilities. The department also facilitates three master of education programs and a Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership, Curriculum & Instruction.
Evangel was also highlighted as both a Christian College of Distinction and a Missouri College of Distinction.
- Engaged students ensures that students are learning through more than just classroom lectures. Students are writing, conducting research, studying abroad, and learning through discussion and classroom involvement.
- Great teaching reflects the quality of professors and staff at each school. Schools with great teaching have experienced professors in small classrooms, where students can establish a relationship with their professors and mentors and will not be lost in the crowd.
- Vibrant communities measures the ways students can grow outside the classroom. This not only includes clubs, organizations, and sports teams but also the feel of the campus. Students should be comfortable where they go to school and be able to choose an institution that can help them expand their hobbies and interests as well as further their careers.
- Successful outcomes ensures that students are experiencing internships, research opportunities, and are prepared for what is to come.
For more information, view Evangel’s profile on the Colleges of Distinction website.
Evangel University, with its embedded Assemblies of God Theological Seminary (AGTS), is a comprehensive Spirit-led Christian university located in Springfield, Missouri. It is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a member of the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities. Under the leadership of Dr. Mike Rakes, EU is committed to excellence in educating and equipping students to serve the Church and society globally and becoming compassionate innovators in their chosen vocations. EU offers more than 70 degree programs, including cutting-edge majors, pre-professional programs, and affordable and flexible online degree options.
EU is highly regarded and has been ranked:
- US News & World Report Best Colleges Top Performer in Social Mobility
- Colleges of Distinction Best Christian University
- Top 10 Best Universities by AcademicInfluence.com
- Third Most Beautiful Campus in the Midwest by Christian Colleges & Universities
- Top 10 Best Colleges in Missouri by BestColleges.com
With additional accreditations in business, counseling, music, social work, and theology and certification as an Excellence in Giving university, EU is focused on providing students with hands-on experience and real-world training for today’s professional careers. Learn more about the university at evangel.edu.