SPRINGFIELD, Mo. — The Missouri College Media Association (MCMA) presented 21 awards — including First Place for the Best Overall Newspaper in their division — to student journalists at Evangel University, on Tuesday, April 7.
The 2020 awards recognize the quality of student work at colleges across the state during 2019. They were presented online this year due to the current Coronavirus Pandemic.
MCMA is the state organization for student print media and is affiliated with the Missouri Press Association. The Lance, Evangel’s campus newspaper, and Excalibur, the yearbook, are members of MCMA.
“Congratulations to all the winners,” said Jack Dimond, MCMA liaison to the Missouri Press Association and senior instructor of journalism at Missouri State University.
“Thanks to our judges and judging coordinators who worked so hard to make this contest happen, despite all the craziness of the last few weeks.”
Recognition builds resumes
The Evangel University Communication Department submitted a variety of entries for the contests, which are designed to enhance the professionalism of student media in the state of Missouri.
Each college newspaper is placed in a division based on the size of the student body. Evangel competes against other small colleges such as Missouri Valley, William-Jewell and Park University.
“Our students are pleased to be recognized for their work, and to achieve ‘Best Overall Newspaper’ in this statewide contest is especially gratifying,” said Melinda Booze, faculty adviser for The Lance.
“Judges in these contests are media professionals, and this gives the awards particular value on a student’s resumes.”
All of the yearbooks in the state compete against each other in one division.
Missouri College Media Association
NEWSPAPER, Division 3
First Place Awards:
- Best Overall Newspaper — The Lance Staff
- Page One Design — The Lance Staff — Diversity Issue, Feb. 15 issue
- Editorial/Op-Ed Page — The Lance Staff — Sept. 20 issue
- Sports Writing — Leslie Perona — “Evangel football through the years”
- Sports Page — The Lance Staff — Oct. 4 issue
Second Place Awards:
- Editorial/Op-Ed Page — The Lance Staff — Feb 15 issue
- Feature Page — The Lance Staff — Nov. 8 issue (page 4)
- Information Graphic — The Lance Staff — “The Lance’s Christmas Gift Guide”
- Sports Writing — Leslie Perona — “Home away from home: Duncan Gakuru’s journey to EU”
Third Place Awards:
- Feature Writing — Gracie Ayers — “Q&A with Dr. Bartels: What is Impeachment?”
- Information Graphic — Madeleine Stoddard — “How Impeachment Works”
- Website — The Lance Staff
- Editorial/Op-Ed Page — The Lance Staff — Editorial Page, April 26 issue
- In-Depth News Reporting — Breanna Berry — “Awareness and Action”
- Sports Writing — Leslie Perona — “Sam Morton named HAAC defensive player of the week”
Second Place Awards:
- Portrait Design — Rebekah Grahlman & Taylor Cruzado
- Sports Photography — Rebekah Grahlman — Women’s Basketball
Third Place Awards:
- Overall Theme Development — Staff
- Sports Design — Rebekah Grahlman & Taylor Cruzado — Women’s Basketball
- Feature Photography — D’Anna Peterson — Fall Play
- Sports Photography — D’Anna Peterson — Cross Country
The Communication Department at Evangel University offers an incredible array of opportunities for hands-on experience.
Students study video, audio and film production, journalism, public relations, advertising, public speaking, multimedia design and much more — all applied through methods of electronic media, print and oral communication.
• For additional information on The Lance, contact Melinda Booze at firstname.lastname@example.org .
• For information on The Excalibur, contact Nancy Pace-Miller at email@example.com .
Evangel University, with the Assemblies of God Theological Seminary (AGTS), is a comprehensive Christian university committed to excellence in educating and equipping students to serve the church and society globally.
Evangel and AGTS serve more than 2,300 students from all 50 states and numerous foreign countries, offering 65 undergraduate majors and 19 master’s and doctoral degrees.