SPRINGFIELD, Mo. — The Department of Natural & Applied Sciences at Evangel University has announced its 2020 graduation awards. Due to COVID-19 and the cancellation of campus events, Evangel’s traditional Baccalaureate and Commencement ceremonies have been postponed until mid-August. The awards were given remotely by the department.
The Department of Natural & Applied Sciences is one of the largest on campus, offering 12 majors to prepare students for careers ranging from education to the environment, including chemistry, computer science, pre-engineering and health care.
A cadaver lab was added in 2016, enhancing the educational experience for pre-med, nursing and other healthcare majors.
The following Sciences 2020 awards were presented:
Outstanding Graduate in the Department of Natural & Applied Sciences
- Heather Joy Culbertson from Grayslake, Illinois
Outstanding Graduate in Biology
- Anne Marie Anibal from Carthage, Missouri
Outstanding Graduate in Biology Education
- Linda Beth Patton from Fair Grove, Missouri
Outstanding Graduate in Computer Science
- Isaiah Anakin Sashidharan from Republic, Missouri
Outstanding Graduate in Environmental Science
- Karina Esperanza Cuate from Worthington, Minnesota
Outstanding Graduate in Health Care/Nursing
- Kacie Lane Weatherly from Union, Missouri
Outstanding Graduate in Mathematics
- Jacob Crews from Springfield, Missouri
Outstanding Graduate in Applied Mathematics
- Barak Scott Barton from Perryton, Texas
Outstanding Graduate in Pre-Medicine
- Jacob Brian Meyer from Brandon, South Dakota
Outstanding Graduate in Research
- Megan Emily Andersen from Walnut Grove, Missouri
The Class of 2020
A survey of more than 500 spring graduates of Evangel University and its seminary showed that 84% preferred to have a traditional Commencement and have it postponed until later in the summer.
• The 62nd Annual Commencement for Evangel will be held Saturday, August 15, at 9:30 a.m. in the Central Assembly auditorium, 1301 N. Boonville in Springfield, Missouri.
• The 47th Annual Commencement for Assemblies of God Theological Seminary of Evangel will take place as a part of the same ceremony. The two schools were consolidated in 2013 and combined their graduations in 2018.
Emmy Award winning journalist Steve Grant will be the Commencement speaker. Grant is a 1976 Evangel graduate and a highly-regarded news anchor at KY3, the NBC affiliate for the Springfield metro area. In addition, he currently serves as president of the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, Mid-America Chapter.
The Commencement 2020 ceremony will be live-streamed at https://www.evangel.edu/commencement/
For additional details on Evangel’s three Baccalaureate & Awards Ceremonies, and on Steve Grant’s life of service, see a feature story on the EU website.
Evangel University, which includes AGTS, is a comprehensive Christian university committed to excellence in educating and equipping students to serve the church and society globally. Evangel serves more than 2,300 students from all 50 states and numerous foreign countries, offering 65 undergraduate majors and 19 master’s and doctoral degrees.
2020 GRADUATION AWARDS FROM EVANGEL UNIVERSITY by DEPARTMENT
- The College of Adult & Graduate Studies — https://www.evangel.edu/press_releases/adult-graduate-studies-2020-awards/
- The Behavioral & Social Sciences Department — https://www.evangel.edu/press_releases/behavioral-social-sciences-2020-awards/
- The Business Department — https://www.evangel.edu/press_releases/business-2020-awards/
- The Communication Department — https://www.evangel.edu/press_releases/communication-2020-awards/
- The Education Department — https://www.evangel.edu/press_releases/education-2020-awards/
- The Humanities Department — https://www.evangel.edu/press_releases/humanities-2020-awards/
- The Kinesiology Department — https://www.evangel.edu/press_releases/kinesiology-2020-awards/
- The Music Department — https://www.evangel.edu/press_releases/music-2020-awards/
- The Natural & Applied Sciences Department — https://www.evangel.edu/press_releases/natural-applied-sciences-2020-awards/
- The Theology & Global Church Ministries Department — https://www.evangel.edu/press_releases/theology-2020-awards/
- The Assemblies of God Theological Seminary — https://www.evangel.edu/press_releases/agts-2020-awards/