SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – Three graduates of the Evangel University Communication Department will be inducted into the Wall of Fame on Friday, Oct. 2, recognizing their distinguished careers in the communication profession.
The award ceremony is open to the public. It will take place at 3 p.m. in Trask Hall, featuring remarks from each recipient. The ceremony will conclude with the hanging of plaques in the Ephraim Media Center main corridor where the Wall of Fame is located.
Those being honored for 2015 are Springfieldian Dave Davis ’82 of Hillcrest High School, Dr. Norman Mintle ’75 of Liberty University, and Krista Sederwall ’92 of the Christian Broadcasting Network.
“To be eligible, the alumni must be 40 years or older, have a successful career in the communication field, and continue to be a person faith,” said Dr. Cameron Pace, chair of the Communication Department. Each awardee was nominated by other alumni and voted on by communication department faculty.
Recipients receive a crystal trophy to take home and a plaque that will hang in the Communication Department’s Ephraim Media Center hallway. A reception will follow, with an open house for alumni and guests.
The department launched the Wall of Fame in 2014 with five inductees, all with Springfield ties.
The 2015 Inductees
• Dave Davis is a1982 Evangel graduate. “Coach” Davis is recognized as one of the top educators in the nation in high school journalism. He started HTV Magazine — now the nation’s longest-running broadcast newsmagazine produced by teens — in the fall of 1989 at Hillcrest High School in Springfield. HTV Magazine holds the national record for winning seven Robert F. Kennedy Awards and 12 Broadcast Pacemaker Awards. Davis received the Journalism Education Association’s Distinguished Adviser Award in 2015, and was named Teacher of the Year by Springfield Public Schools in 2009. Davis also founded the Academy of Scholastic Broadcasting (ASB) summer workshops that offer hands-on training for broadcast students and teachers nationwide.
• Krista Sederwall Casey is a 1992 Evangel graduate. For the past 20 years, Sederwall has served in the field of media as a college educator, broadcaster, writer and producer. Since 2006, she has worked for the Christian Broadcasting Network in Virginia Beach and currently serves as their managing producer for TV programming for India, Nepal, China and Hong Kong. There, she assists and trains teams to produce programming in local languages. Sederwall was honored in 2015 to receive the NRB, National Religious Broadcast Media Award for “International Strategic Partnership” for her work with a CBN children’s program in Nepal.
• Dr. Norman Mintle is a 1974 Evangel graduate. Mintle currently serves as the dean of the School of Communication & Creative Arts at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va. He brought more than 30 years of professional media experience to the school, including service as the executive producer of the Christian Broadcasting Network’s “The 700 Club” TV program, and as V.P. of programming and marketing at CBN. He also served as the executive vice president and chief operating officer for the Total Living (cable) Network. Mintle was Evangel’s first Outstanding Young Alumnus in 1987.
For additional information, contact Dr. Cameron Pace at (417) 865-2815, ext. 8413.
SIDEBAR: Members of the Wall of Fame
2014 — Evangel launched the Communication Department’s Wall of Fame in 2014 with five inductees, all with Springfield ties:
- “Aunt Norma” Champion, pioneer broadcaster and former State Senator;
- Shirley Shedd, retired chair of the department;
- Steve Grant, KY3 News anchor;
- Kay Logsdon, vice president of The Food Channel/Noble Communication; and
- Brandon Beck, KY3 News meteorologist.