be_ixf;ym_202404 d_13; ct_50

Submit a Complaint

Submit a Complaint

Evangel University is committed to upholding ethical standards and has established policies and procedures to provide students the opportunity to file a concern within the University as well as with accrediting, state, and governmental agencies. Students are encouraged to become familiar with University policies and procedures that are found in the Student Handbook and in the Academic Catalog.

Initially, every attempt to resolve a concern should be made directly with the appropriate faculty member, staff member or student.  In the event students feel they have been treated unfairly or have issues with the University that cannot be resolved by the methods outlined in the University publications, including this website, students have the right to contact our accrediting agencies and/or state and governmental agencies.

Initiating and Processing a Complaint

Step 1: The complainant shall file a formal written complaint, no later than 10 days after the incident, with the Vice President for Student Development, using the Complaint Form.

Step 2: The Vice President for Student Development shall log the complaint and forward it to the vice president under whose jurisdiction the concern lies.  That vice president shall conduct an investigation, gathering all relevant information and may conduct interviews of all parties involved.  The Vice President may confer with students or other University administrators, faculty, or staff as part of the investigation.

Step 3: The investigating Vice President will provide, in writing, the resolution to the complainant. If the student is not satisfied with the resolution, the complaint shall be transmitted to the President.  The President, or the President’s designee, shall meet with the parties involved, provide a resolution, and transmit that resolution, in writing, to the involved parties. The President’s resolution shall be considered final.

Policies and procedures related to harassment, discrimination, and various offenses are described in the Evangel University Student Handbook.  Academic complaint processes are outlined in the Academic Catalog. Students should consult the appropriate handbook and follow processes outline as the first step in attempting to resolve a student grievance.  For a complaint that is not covered by the policies or procedures described in the Student Handbook, the student should make the nature of the complaint known to the University by completing the Evangel University Complaint Form and submitting it to the Vice President of Student Development.

Complaints to the Higher Learning Commission

Evangel University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. The Commission has established a clear distinction between individual grievances and complaints that appear to involve broad institutional practices. Where a complaint does raise issues regarding the institution’s ongoing ability to meet the Criteria of Accreditation, the Commission forwards the complaint to the institution and requests a formal response. HLC Contact information:

Higher Learning Commission
230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, Illinois 60604-1411
Phone: 312-263-0456 . Fax: 312-263-7462 .

Complaints to the Missouri Department of Higher Education

34 C.F.R. § 668.43(b) The Missouri Department of Higher Education serves as a clearinghouse for postsecondary student complaints.

This webpage contains information about the complaint process and includes instructions for how to file a formal complaint. Note that the policy provides that a student who wishes to file a complaint with the department must first exhaust all formal and informal avenues provided by the institution to resolve disputes.

Complaints to the Office of Civil Rights, Disability Basis

Any individual who believes that he or she or a specific individual or class of individuals has been subjected to discrimination on the basis of disability, in a health or human service program or activity conducted by a covered entity, may file a complaint with OCR. Complaints must be filed within 180 days from the date of the alleged discrimination. OCR may extend the 180-day deadline if you can show “good cause.”

Include the following information in your written complaint, or request a Discrimination Complaint Form from an OCR Regional or Headquarters office (complaints must be signed by the complainant or an authorized representative):

  • Your name, address, and telephone number.
  • Name and address of the entity you believe discriminated against you.
  • How, why, and when you believe you were discriminated against.
  • Any other relevant information.

Send your complaint to the Regional Manager at the appropriate OCR Regional Office, or to the address located below.

Kansas City
Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
601 East 12th Street – Room 353
Kansas City, MO 64106
Customer Response Center: (800) 368-1019
Fax: (202) 619-3818
TDD: (800) 537-7697

Upon receipt, OCR will review the information provided. If OCR determines they do not have the authority to investigate your complaint, they will, if possible, refer it to an appropriate agency. Complaints alleging employment discrimination on the basis of disability against a single individual may be referred to the U. S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission for processing. Private individuals may also bring law suits against a public entity to enforce their rights under Section 504 and the ADA; and may receive injunctive relief, compensatory damages, and reasonable attorney’s fees.

For further information, contact:

Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
200 Independence Avenue, SW – Room 506-F
Washington, D.C. 20201
Hotlines: 1-800-368-1019 (Voice) 1-800-537-7697 (TDD)

Complaints to the Department of Education, Title IX Basis

To file complaints of discrimination with Office for Civil Rights, you may use the online complaint form   or send a letter to the OCR enforcement office for the state of Missouri:

Kansas City Office Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Education
One Petticoat Lane
1010 Walnut Street, 3rd floor, Suite 320
Kansas City, MO 64106
Telephone: 816-268-0550
FAX: 816-268-0599; TDD: 800-877-8339

 U.S. Department of Education
(OCR National Headquarters)
Office for Civil Rights
Lyndon Baines Johnson Department of Education Bldg
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-1100
Telephone: 800-421-3481
FAX: 202-453-6012; TDD: 800-877-8339

Students studying online may wish to submit a complaint to the Missouri Department of Higher Education or the respective state in which they are studying:

Student Complaint Process

Students with a complaint must first attempt to resolve the issue at the school by completing the school’s complaint process. Exhaustion of all informal and formal institutional processes, including both campus processes and any applicable system processes, is a prerequisite to filing any formal complaint with the DHEWD.

If dissatisfied with the resolution of the school grievance process, the student may contact the department by calling (573) 751-2361 or emailing

The student will be directed to submit the complaint in writing, using a complaint form provided by the DHEWD. It may be mailed, scanned, or faxed to the department and must include supporting documentation. If there is no indication institutional remedies have been exhausted, the complaint will be returned for that purpose. Complaints that fall within the jurisdiction of the department will be investigated and resolved as appropriate by the relevant unit of the DHEWD. All parties to the complaint will be notified of its resolution.

Resources by State


Alabama Commission on Higher Education
P. O. Box 302000
Montgomery, AL 36130-2000


Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education
PO Box 110505
Juneau, AK 99811-0505

Alaska Office of Attorney General Consumer Protection Unit
1031 W. Fourth Avenue, Suite 200
Anchorage, AK 99501


Complaint Form (PDF)


Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education
1740 W. Adams Street
Suite 3008
Phoenix, AZ 85007

Student Complaint Procedure


Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board Arkansas
Department of Higher Education
114 East Capitol Ave
Little Rock, AR 72201


Arkansas State Board of Private Career Education
501 Woodlane, Suite 312S
Little Rock, AR 72201
Students – Complaint Process


California Bureau of Private Postsecondary Education
P.O. Box 980818
W. Sacramento, CA 95798-0818
Complaint Form (PDF)


Colorado Department of Higher Education
1560 Broadway, Suite 1600
Denver, Colorado 80202
Colorado Department of Higher Education Complaint Policy


Connecticut Department of Higher Education
61 Woodland Street
Hartford, CT 06105-2326

Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection
165 Capitol Avenue, Room 110
Hartford CT 06106
Consumer Statement PDF

Consumer Complaint Hotline: 800-842-2649


Delaware Higher Education Office Carvel State Office Building
820 N. French Street
5th Floor
Wilmington, DE 19801-3509

Delaware Attorney General
Consumer Protection Wilmington:
820 N. French Street
5th floor
Wilmington, DE 19801

District of Columbia

District of Columbia Office of the State Superintendent of Education
Education Licensure Commission
810 First Street, NE
9th Floor
Washington, DC 20002


Commission for Independent Education
325 W. Gaines Street, Suite 1414
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400

File a Complaint


Georgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission
2082 E Exchange Pl. #220
Tucker, GA 30084-5334
Phone: (770) 414-3300


Hawaii State Board of Education
P.O. Box 2360
Honolulu Hawaii 96804
File a Consumer Complaint


Idaho State Board of Education
Attn: State Coordinator for Private Colleges and Proprietary Schools
650 West State Street
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0037


Illinois Board of Higher Education
431 East Adams, 2nd Floor
Springfield, Illinois 62701-1404
Institutional Complaint Hotline: 217-557-7359

Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE)
100 N. 1st Street
Springfield, Illinois 62777
Contact ISBE

Illinois Attorney General
Consumer Fraud Bureau
500 South Second Street
Springfield, IL 62706
Consumer Protection Division Website message forms
Consumer Fraud Bureau complaint form (PDF)
Consumer Fraud Hotline: 800-243-0618


Attn: Director of Regulatory Compliance
Indiana Commission on Proprietary Education
302 W Washington Street, Room E201
Indianapolis IN 46204

Record of Complaint form (PDF) 


Iowa Student Aid Commission
603 E. 12th Street, 5th Floor
Des Moines, IA 50319


Kansas Board of Regents
1000 SW Jackson Street, Suite 520
Topeka, KS 66612-1368
Complaint Procedure (PDF)  


Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education
1024 Capital Center Dr #320
Frankfort, KY 40601-7512

Kentucky Board of Proprietary Education
911 Leawood Drive
Frankfort, KY 40601-3319

Kentucky Commission on Proprietary Education
Capital Plaza Tower, Room 303
500 Mero Street
Frankfort, Kentucky 40601


Louisiana Board of Regents
P.O. Box 3677
Baton Rouge, LA 70821-3677
Consumer Complaint Form (PDF)


Maine Department of Education Complaint Investigator
23 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0023

Maine Attorney General
Consumer Protection Division
6 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333
Contact the Consumer Protection Division


Maryland Attorney General
Consumer Protection Division
200 St. Paul St.
Baltimore MD 21202
410-528-8662/888/743/0823 (toll free)


Massachusetts Board of Higher Education
One Ashburton Place, Room 1401
Boston, MA 02108
Student Complaint Process


Corporations, Securities, & Commercial Licensing
Licensing Division
PO Box 30018
Lansing, MI 48909


Minnesota Office of Higher Education
1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350
St. Paul, MN 55108-5227


Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation
3825 Ridgewood Road
Jackson, MS 39211-6453

Mississippi Commission of Proprietary Schools and College Registration
3825 Ridgewood Road
Jackson, MS 39211-6453

MS Attorney General’s Office
P.O. Box 220
Jackson, Mississippi 39205
Contact Us electronic form


Missouri Department of Higher Education
205 Jefferson Street
P.O. Box 1469
Jefferson City, MO 65102-1469


Montana Board of Regents
Office of Commissioner of Higher Education
Montana University System
2500 Broadway Street
PO Box 203201
Helena, MT 59620-3201

Montana Office of Consumer Protection
2225 11th Avenue
P.O. Box 200151
Helena, MT 59620-0151


Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education
P.O. Box 95005
Lincoln, NE 68509-5005

Nebraska Department of Education
Investigations Office
301 Centennial Mall South
P.O. Box 98987
Lincoln, NE 68509-4987

Nebraska Attorney General
Consumer Protection Division
2115 State Capitol
Lincoln, NE 68509
Consumer Protection Hotline: 800-727-6432


Nevada Commission on Postsecondary Education
3663 East Sunset Road, Suite 202
Las Vegas, Nevada 89120
Student Complaints Web page

New Hampshire

New Hampshire Postsecondary Education Commission
3 Barrell Court #300
Concord, NH 03301-8531
Complaints web page

New Jersey

Office of the Secretary of Higher Education
1 John Fitch Plaza
10th Floor, PO Box 542
Trenton, NJ 08625-0542
OSHE Complaint Web Page

New Mexico

New Mexico Higher Education Department
2048 Galisteo
Santa Fe, NM 87505
HED Student Complaint Form

New York

New York Office of College and University Evaluation
New York State Education Department
5 North Mezzanine
Albany, NY 12234
Information for Complaints – Filing a Complaint About a College or University

New York State Department of State
Division of Consumer Protection
Consumer Assistance Unit
5 Empire State Plaza – Suite 2101
Albany, New York 12223-1556
Complaint Form

North Carolina

Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Assistant Director of Licensure and Workforce Studies
University of North Carolina General Admission
910 Raleigh Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688

North Dakota

North Dakota Department of Career and Technical Education
State Capitol – 15th Floor
600 E. Boulevard Ave. Dept. 270
Bismarck, ND 58505-0610

North Dakota Consumer Protection Division
Office of Attorney General
Gateway Professional Center
1050 E Interstate Ave. Suite 200
Bismarck, ND 58503-5574
Consumer Complaint form (PDF)


Ohio State Board of Career Colleges and Schools
35 East Gay Street, Suite 403
Columbus, OH 43215-3138
Grievance / Complaint Form (PDF)

Ohio Board of Regents
30 East Broad Street, 36th floor
Columbus, OH 43215-3414

Ohio Attorney General
Consumer Protection Section
30 East Broad St., 14th floor
Columbus, OH 43215-3400
File a complaint


Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education
655 Research Parkway, Suite 200
Oklahoma City, OK 73104

Oklahoma State Board of Private Vocational Schools
3700 Classen Boulevard, Suite 250
Oklahoma City, OK 731182864

Oklahoma Office of the Attorney General
Consumer Protection Unit
Attn: Investigative Analyst
313 NE 21st Street
Oklahoma City, OK 73105


Oregon Office of Degree Authorization 1500 Valley River Drive
Suite 100
Eugene, OR 97401

Oregon Department of Education
Private Career Schools Office
255 Capitol Street NE
Salem, OR 97310-0203
Complaint Procedure (Microsoft Word document)

Oregon Attorney General
Financial Fraud/Consumer Protection Section
1162 Court St. NE
Salem, OR 97301-4096
Consumer Complaint Form (PDF)


Pennsylvania Department of Education
333 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17126-0333

Office of Attorney General
Bureau of Consumer Protection
14th Floor, Strawberry Square
Harrisburg, PA 17120
Consumer Complaint Form (PDF)

Puerto Rico

Puerto Rico Council on Higher Education
PO Box 1900
San Juan, PR 00910-1900

Puerto Rico Department of Justice
PO 9020192
San Juan, PR 00902-0192

Rhode Island

Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education
Shepard Building
80 Washington Street
Providence, RI 02903

Rhode Island Department of Attorney General
Consumer Protection Unit
150 South Main Street
Providence, RI 02903
Complaint form (PDF) 

South Carolina

South Carolina Commission on Higher Education
1333 Main Street, Suite 200
Columbia, SC 29201

South Dakota

South Dakota Board of Regents
306 E. Capitol Ave, Suite 200
Pierre, SD 57501-2545

South Dakota Office of Attorney General
Division of Consumer Protection
1302 E Hwy 14 Suite 3
Pierre SD 57501-8053
Consumer Complaint Form


Tennessee Higher Education Commission
404 James Robertson Parkway, Suite 1900
Nashville, TN 37243


Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
1200 E. Anderson Lane
Austin, Texas 78752
Student Complaint Procedure


Utah Division of Consumer Protection
160 East 300 South
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
Consumer Protection Complaints


Vermont Department of Education
State Board of Education
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05620-2501

Vermont Attorney General’s Office
109 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05609-1001


State Council of Higher Education for Virginia
101 N. 14TH St., 10TH FL
James Monroe Building
Richmond, VA 23219
Student Complaint Form (PDF)


Washington Higher Education Coordinating Board
917 Lakeridge Way
PO Box 43430
Olympia, WA 98504-3430

Washington Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board
128 10th Avenue SW
PO Box 43105
Olympia, WA 98504-3105
Complaints web page

Washington State Office of the Attorney General
1125 Washington Street SE
PO Box 40100
Olympia, WA 98504-0100
Contact Form
General Consumer Complaint Form

West Virginia

West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission
1018 Kanawha Blvd E., Ste 700
Charleston WV 25301-2800

Community and Technical College System of West Virginia
1018 Kanawha Blvd. E., Ste. 700
Charleston WV 25301

West Virginia Office of the Attorney General
Consumer Protection Division
PO Box 1789
Charleston, WV 25326-1789
Complaint Process
Consumer Complaint Form (PDF)


Wisconsin Educational Approval Board
30 W. Mifflin St., 9th Floor
P.O. Box 8696
Madison, WI 53708
Student Complaints


Wyoming Department of Education
2300 Capitol Avenue
Hathaway Building, 2nd Floor
Cheyenne, WY 82002-0050

Attorney General’s Office
123 Capitol Building
200 W. 24th Street
Cheyenne, WY 82002