On and Off Campus Housing - Evangel University be_ixf;ym_202104 d_17; ct_50


On and Off Campus Housing

On and Off Campus Housing

Danielle Poulson-Jones, Housing Director

Residence Life

A big part of Evangel’s culture is life on campus. That is why Evangel is primarily a residential campus for all traditional-aged undergraduate students, unless you live at home and commute to campus or meet one of the other qualifications (see below in Off-Campus Housing Requirements). You can also see frequently asked questions about roommate matching, room assignments, and other housing policies (FAQs Housing Policies) for further information. Evangel operates in compliance with the Fair Housing Act and the 504 Rehabilitation Act concerning Service and Assistance Animals.

Each residence hall is managed by full-time Residence Directors (RDs), master’s level adults, who live in an apartment within each hall. They oversee the care and social aspect of the students who reside there, as well as lead educational programming teams in outside-the-classroom-learning opportunities for all students. Resident Assistants (RAs) are trained student leaders who reside on each floor to assist students and create an atmosphere of community and respect. Additionally, each hall has floor and hall event teams, who plan and implement activities to encourage relationships and growth.

From roommate relationships to hall traditions, your experiences can help you develop in ways you never imagined, all while being surrounded by a supportive community of like-minded believers to take this journey with you. Of course, the foundation of this tight-knit community is formed in the residence halls where new and returning students, from freshmen to seniors, experience life together. You can build relationships with others from around the state or around the world; friendships that will enrich your life and last a lifetime.

Residence Halls

Evangel’s residence halls are all similar in structure and design, with double occupancy rooms. There is a shared bathroom between each set of two rooms so no more than four students share the facilities. The residence buildings are 3 to 4 stories tall, with 6 to 8 floors. We also offer free laundry machines in each residence hall. First floor lobbies are newly renovated and students use both first and second floor lobbies as their “living rooms.”

Residence hall living brings many opportunities for involvement with all kinds of floor and hall activities, as well as leadership possibilities. Students can get involved in weekly floor devotions in addition to other community outings. There are hundreds of opportunities to serve in leadership as resident assistants, discipleship leaders, discipleship administrators, or on hall and floor councils. Students also personalize their environments with mission-oriented themes and floor designs. We encourage you to visit our campus and check out our dorms!

Burgess Hall

Burgess Hall is a 4-story building, with 8 floors, on the north side of campus and up to 275 women call it home.

Krause Hall

Krause Hall is a 3-story building, with 6 floors on the north side of campus and a capacity to house 190 men.

Lewis Hall

Lewis Hall, the largest residential building, has 4 stories, 8 floors, and is on the north side of campus. Lewis houses up to 325 students. Women live on the north side of the building and men live on the south side.

Scott Hall

Scott Hall is a 3-story building, with 6 floors, on the south side of campus with a housing capacity of 190 men. This hall houses the only men’s honor floor on campus.

Spence Hall

Spence Hall is a 3-story building on the south side of campus and can house up to 160 women. This hall is the home of the women’s honor floor.

Walther Hall

Walther Hall is a 3-story building on the south side of campus with a housing capacity of 180 women.

Residence Hall Room Information

Room Furnishings

(Each residence hall has a microwave, an ice machine, and a water bottle filling station for student use.)

Each room has the following:

  • Carpeting
  • Air-conditioning
  • Sink and vanity
  • Two twin beds. Beds for men have extra-long mattresses. Female students may request extra-long mattresses if needed.
  • Two desks with chairs
  • One 4-drawer chest
  • Two closets (each closet is 46” x 21” and has two shelves)
  • Standard window (opening is 34” x 44”)
  • A bathroom with a tub/shower and a toilet connects the two rooms in each suite

Click here for a dorm room layout!


Checklist: What to Bring


  • Extra-long twin mattress cover (REQUIRED)
  • Linens * (bring sheets that are designed to fit both regular and extra-long mattresses – we have a mixture.)
  • Blankets
  • Bedspread
  • Clothes hangers
  • Towels
  • Cleaning supplies
  • Laundry detergent
  • Wastebasket
  • Personal hygiene items
  • Plastic storage containers

*Sheets that fit both regular and extra-long mattresses may be ordered from: https://www.ocm.com/evc?utm_source=evc&utm_medium=Direct+Mail

Electrical items (OPTIONAL):

  • Hair dryer
  • Curling iron
  • Razor
  • Coffee pot
  • Popcorn popper
  • Clock
  • Lamp
  • Radio/stereo
  • Fan
  • Headphones (for students who prefer to study with music/TV and have roommates who don’t)
  • Small microwave*
  • Laptop/PC
  • TV, DVD
  • Hot pot (no open or exposed heating element)
  • Refrigerator (smallest size only—approximately 3 cubic ft)
    Note: All appliances must use a power strip with an electrical breaker switch


  • Pictures, posters, etc. (hang with poster tack because nails are not allowed)
  • Air fresheners, potpourri, etc. (no open flames of any kind)
  • Small sofas, couches, or chairs
  • Small aquarium fish (no other pets permitted)


Free Internet access is available in all residence hall rooms.
Eight main computer labs are available to all students campus wide.
The Art & Communication departments each have computer labs.
Each residence hall has a computer lab that is open 24 hours.


Current Student Enrollment Deposit Policy

Your enrollment deposit is only paid once at the beginning of your time at Evangel and secures enrollment each semester, whether on or off campus. When you graduate/leave Evangel, notify the Housing office by the cancellation deadlines in order to receive the deposit refund. Refunds are first applied to any outstanding student account balance with additional funds returned by mail directly to the student.

The fall deposit refund cancellation deadlines for returning students are shown below:


Date Deadlines
May 1 Deadline for Full $200 deposit refund
June 1 Deadline for 75% refund
July 1 Deadline for 50% refund
August 1 Deadline for 33% refund
August 15 Deadline for 25% refund

The spring semester returning student cancellation deadline is the day the residence halls close for winter break.

*If returning students are unsure of their plans and need more time, they may be granted a 30-day extension on the May 1 deadline without financial penalty by simply notifying the Housing Office in writing or by email by May 1. They will then need to contact the Housing Office by May 15 with their final decision to be eligible for the full refund.

FAQ Roommate Matching, Room Assignments, and Housing Policies

When do I apply for residential housing?

New and re-entering students pay a one-time, $200 enrollment deposit, after they have been accepted as a student. Online instructions and roommate matching surveys are automatically emailed upon acceptance.

What if I need to cancel my housing?

If you need to cancel your housing for the fall semester, the deadline for new applicants to receive a refund of their enrollment deposit is May 1. The deadline for spring semester cancellation for new applicants is December 1. Enrollment deposits are non-refundable after the cancellation deadlines, but may be applied to a subsequent semester or year by notifying the appropriate admissions counselor.

Can my enrollment deposit for housing be taken from my future financial aid package?

Deposits cannot be taken from future financial aid not yet applied to the student account.

Does my enrollment deposit get credited to my account?

Deposits are held for the entire time the student attends Evangel University to secure enrollment each semester, whether on or off campus, and will allow resident students to reserve a room. During their last semester at Evangel, students can receive their enrollment deposit back by notifying the Housing Office by the cancellation deadline. Refunds are first applied to any outstanding balance on the student account and any remaining amount is refunded directly to the student.

Can I choose my roommate, the room, and residence hall I want to live in?

We want you to have the roommate of your choice so, yes, you can choose your roommate, as long as both students are eligible and request the same person. Rooms are first assigned to returning students.
We will do our best to give you your first choice, but rooms and residence halls are assigned to new students, according to the date of enrollment deposit, based on availability.

How am I matched with a roommate?

We can match you with a compatible roommate using a detailed roommate matching survey. Returning students select their own roommates or are assisted in the process each semester by their Residence Director.

Can I get a private room?

Returning students may request a private room at an additional cost, once approved by the Bursar’s Office. First-time freshman students have a roommate.

What about meal plans?

Residential students have a traditional meal plan and have the option of adding Crusader Bucks, if desired. Commuter students may purchase optional block meal plans (45 or 75 meals) and/or Crusader Bucks. Contact the Housing Director for options with meal plans. If you have health needs that require significant dietary restrictions, our food service staff may be able to accommodate your needs.

Who should I contact if I still have questions?

Director of Housing, Danielle Poulson-Jones by phone at 417-865-2815 ext. 7335 or email.

Service and Assistance Animals Policy

The University recognizes that Assistance Animals and Service Animals may be an effective accommodation for certain qualified students with disabilities at Evangel University. Service Animals are those that are trained to take a specific action when needed to assist the person with a disability, and Assistance Animals are those that provide emotional or other type of support that alleviates one or more identified symptoms or effects of a person’s disability while in university housing. Assistance Animals are permitted only in student housing, whereas Service Animals are permitted to accompany students in other areas of the campus.

For detailed information on Assistance Animals and Service Animals, and to see if you qualify, refer to the Assistance Animal Policy or contact the Student Disability Coordinator.

Commuters (417 Hall)

Although Evangel is primarily a residential campus, over 300 students live off campus with parents or grandparents in the area or are married.

As a commuter student, you will have avenues for connection and collaboration through our student organization, the “417 Hall.” The Commuter Coordinator and student council work together planning events and providing resources that address your needs and help you to thrive. The Commuter Coordinator serves as a liaison between commuter students and Administration. The Commuter Council is a team of student leaders who plan and implement activities for the commuter population to encourage belongingness to the university and lasting friendships among students.

The Commuter Office, located on the second floor of the Student Union, is your place to get questions answered. A commuter lounge, computer lab, and lockers are also located in the student union. The “fire-side room” has couches, a big screen TV, along with two dining and/or study tables, a refrigerator, and microwave.

Off-Campus Housing Policy

Students must be approved in order to live off campus. Here are the criteria:

  • Living with a parent, grandparent, or court approved legal guardian
  • Attained the age of 23 or older prior to the official, published semester move-in day
  • Achieved senior status, a GPA (cumulative) of 3.0 or better, and age 22 by move-in day, provided they are not on a disciplinary plan
  • Completed 8 full-time semesters of course work
  • Enrolled for 9 hours or less (including courses taken concurrently at other institutions)
  • Completed a previous baccalaureate degree
  • Fulfilled a minimum of 2 years active duty military service
  • Participating in the student teaching semester
  • Nursing student upperclassman with classes at Cox School of Nursing
  • Married (Engaged students may be tentatively approved)

Once you meet one of the criteria, submit the off-campus questionnaire (located in the student portal) and your request will be evaluated by the Housing Director. A parental endorsement is required for students living at home with their parents. All commuters must submit the questionnaire. Students living with parents are approved on a yearly basis and must re-apply prior to each fall semester.

Resident students changing to commuter status should check with their financial aid counselor to see if their financial award will be affected. Founders students must live on campus in order to remain eligible.

Wondering if you can live off campus? Click here to find out.

Other Housing Information

EU Rental Properties

Evangel has a limited number of houses, duplexes, and apartments available to full-time students who meet the requirements to live off campus. Perkin Apartments have 1 bedroom and are located on the north side of Evangel’s campus near the baseball and softball fields. Two-bedroom duplexes and several single-family homes are also available. All properties are within walking distance of campus. Contact the Housing Office for more information about Evangel rental properties or complete the Rental Housing Application if you would like to be placed on the waiting list.

Rental Housing Details