be_ixf;ym_202404 d_23; ct_150

FAQ - Filing the FAFSA

Filing the FAFSA

What is the filing deadline?

Priority DeadlineStart Date
November 1Spring Semester
December 1Fall Semester
April 1Summer Semester

Note: FAFSAs will be accepted after these dates, but available aid may be limited.

If I missed the priority deadline, should I still file my FAFSA?

Yes, FAFSA information will still be accepted after this date, but available aid may be limited.

Why do I have to have a FSA ID?

The FSA ID – username and password – has replaced the Federal Student Aid PIN and must be used to log in to certain United States Department of Education websites. Your FSA ID confirms your identity when you access your financial aid information and electronically sign Federal Student Aid documents. How to create an FSA ID.

What is Evangel’s federal school code?

Evangel University’s federal school code is 002463.

What if I didn’t list Evangel’s school code on my FAFSA?

Log back onto the FAFSA website and add Evangel’s code (002463). Then re-sign and submit the FAFSA. Other options include calling 1.800.433.3243 and having the Information Center send your information to Evangel, or adding Evangel’s code (002463) on Part II of your Student Aid Report (SAR) and sending it back to the processor to make the change.

Can I file my FAFSA as an independent?

According to federal guidelines, an independent student is one of the following:

  • at least 24 years old
  • married on the date you completed your FAFSA
  • a graduate or professional student
  • a veteran
  • a member of the armed forces
  • an orphan or ward of the court
  • someone with legal dependents other than a spouse

Can I file my FAFSA if I don’t have my taxes done?

Although you can use estimated income figures to file your FAFSA, it is best to complete your tax return and transfer that information to your FAFSA to have the most accurate application and avoid corrections later. We strongly recommend that you utilize the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT). The FAFSA utilizes data from two years prior, so estimation should not be necessary (i.e., 2022-2023 will use 2020 taxes).

When and how will I receive my financial aid funds?

Federal and university financial aid funds will be applied to your student account if all eligibility criteria are met (financial aid documents and verification completed, attendance established, etc.) no earlier than within one week after the end of the add/drop period each semester (modular students – after your first class of the term begins). Outside funds (third party scholarships, state grants, etc.) are applied when received by the university.

Do I have to include my parents’ information on my FAFSA if they don’t claim me on their taxes?

Yes, unless you are considered an independent student as defined by federal guidelines for Federal Student Aid. See the information on filing as independent above.

If my parents are separated or divorced, which parent fills out the FAFSA?

The parent you lived with most in the last 12 months. If you lived with each parent for an equal number of days, use the parent who provided the most financial support during the last 12 months, or during the most recent calendar year that you were actually supported by a parent. Support includes money, gifts, loans, housing, food, clothes, car, medical and dental care, payment for college costs, etc.

If my parent re-married, do I have to include my step-parent’s information on the FAFSA?

Yes, if your parent is married on the day you completed your FAFSA.

If I’m getting married during the school year, how do I fill out my FAFSA?

You must report your marital status at the time you file your FAFSA.

What can I do if my family’s financial situation has drastically changed since I filed my FAFSA?

You can complete a Special Circumstances Appeal Form with the required documentation of circumstances and submit it to Evangel University’s Office of Financial Aid. The form will be evaluated to see if any adjustments in your federal aid can be made based on your individual circumstances.

Step-by-step instructions for completing the FAFSA:

  • Visit the FAFSA website and click on “Start A New FAFSA.” You’ll need your FSA ID, a username and password combination that allows you to sign your FAFSA electronically. You can get your FSA ID as you fill out the FAFSA, but you also have the option to get it ahead of time at Create a New FSA ID.
  • Once you have your FSA ID, use school code 002463 to have your FAFSA sent to Evangel University.
  • If you forget your FSA ID or Password here are instructions to reset them. In both the student and parent income section, choose the option to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT). Follow these helpful IRS DRT steps that clearly explain the step-by-step DRT process.
  • Student and parent sign using your FSA ID and submit the FAFSA.
  • You will receive notification that your FAFSA has been received and you will receive your Student Aid Report (SAR). Please review this for accuracy. If necessary, make corrections on your FAFSA and submit the changes. If you need assistance with this, please contact the United States Department of Education at 1.800.4.FED.AID (1.800.433.3243).

Please note:

We encourage families to complete the FAFSA online because the online version saves your information from year to year and takes two to three days to process. Completing a paper version of the FAFSA can take up to eight weeks to process.